Esteemed Contributor

Re: Florida Is Number 1 State for Higher Education

@wildlifewitch wrote:
Very cute, but your condescension, not so much.

@wildlifewitch, whatever.......

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

Florida also has Bright Futures Scholarships based on high school academic achievement. It certainly wasn't enough to cover all college expenses, but sure helped a lot!  

@Reba055, there are plenty such scholarships!  They don't have to be state specific either.  Sooo many.  Good students can a good portion of their tution paid via scholarships.

@itiswhatitis Yes, there are scholarships. Unless you are a minority or lower income, they are very hard if not impossible to get. Some very expensive schools offer scholarships on merit alone, but they are still way too expensive even with a big scholarship. Bright scholars is on merit alone. Doesn't matter your ethnic background or financial status. It's much more affordable to stay in state in FL and use Bright Futures. You then have living expenses, room and board, and books. 

That's what I'm speaking to @Reba055.  Scholarships based on merit.  There are plenty of scholarships for "everyone."  I'm a minority....my son was able to compete for scholarships with many of his peers (he's a minority too).

BTW minority students also have to compete based on merit (even if they are for minority students).

@itiswhatitis  I'm sorry, I respectfully disagree. If you fill out FAFSA, you aren't getting a scholarship on merit if you are middle class or above or not a minority.  It's just a fact. The exception being schools that offer you a 30K scholarship when it costs 100K to go there, or the rare independent scholarships usually offered by companies (though lower income is still a priority). It's a shame that scholarships are not available to all based on merit. 

@Reba055, you can disagree.  However, what I provided is factual.  Scholarships are not reported on your FASFA.  Scholarships should be considered even when one fills out a FASFA (if they have to).  Not all students need to fill out a FASFA (because parents pay their way).

Just because you are not aware of the myriad scholarships availble, does not mean they don't exist.  They are there.  They are set up by corporations, foundations, rich folk, sometimes they are state sponsored.  Of course a free ride would be nice, but then you're talking people who don't need the free ride.

Ever wonder why people who have everything always have things thrown their way?  I do.  My son competed for as many scholarships as he could.  Another relative did as well.  

Scholarships are everywhere for everyone and yes, some are specific to certain ethnic groups (but not all of them).  Even those ethnic groups have to meet certain criteria.  If they didn't have to, everyone and their relatives could get a scholarship.

I advise anyone looking for scholarship information to search for searchable databases and compile the thousands, if not millions of aid available for their children/grandchildren or themselves.

@itiswhatitis Well all I can say is good luck. Yes, I'm aware of all that. My daughter graduated with a GPA over 4.0. She applied for tons of scholarships. So did all of her peers in the same situation. No one received a scholarship. Perhaps we were considered "affluent" by scholarship standards which is a joke. The only merit based scholarships she was offered would still have cost us 50-80K per year. My daughter was well rounded,  outgoing, educated, volunteered, worked, and was a phenomenal dancer. 

She graduated from FSU with a 4.2 (if I remember correctly) GPA with no debt. She used Bright Futures and a grant for books. We paid the rest and she worked part time for spending money.  She has been gainfully employed since graduation making a good income. 

Respected Contributor

FL is doing a great job with first generation college students.

Second and more generation students should be guided by their parents.  They should go to websites that list schools which will leave students with little or no debt.  It is a lot harder to pay debt than to do a bit of planning during high school.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reba055 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

Florida also has Bright Futures Scholarships based on high school academic achievement. It certainly wasn't enough to cover all college expenses, but sure helped a lot!  

@Reba055, there are plenty such scholarships!  They don't have to be state specific either.  Sooo many.  Good students can a good portion of their tution paid via scholarships.

@itiswhatitis Yes, there are scholarships. Unless you are a minority or lower income, they are very hard if not impossible to get. Some very expensive schools offer scholarships on merit alone, but they are still way too expensive even with a big scholarship. Bright scholars is on merit alone. Doesn't matter your ethnic background or financial status. It's much more affordable to stay in state in FL and use Bright Futures. You then have living expenses, room and board, and books. 

That's what I'm speaking to @Reba055.  Scholarships based on merit.  There are plenty of scholarships for "everyone."  I'm a minority....my son was able to compete for scholarships with many of his peers (he's a minority too).

BTW minority students also have to compete based on merit (even if they are for minority students).

@itiswhatitis  I'm sorry, I respectfully disagree. If you fill out FAFSA, you aren't getting a scholarship on merit if you are middle class or above or not a minority.  It's just a fact. The exception being schools that offer you a 30K scholarship when it costs 100K to go there, or the rare independent scholarships usually offered by companies (though lower income is still a priority). It's a shame that scholarships are not available to all based on merit. 

@Reba055, you can disagree.  However, what I provided is factual.  Scholarships are not reported on your FASFA.  Scholarships should be considered even when one fills out a FASFA (if they have to).  Not all students need to fill out a FASFA (because parents pay their way).

Just because you are not aware of the myriad scholarships availble, does not mean they don't exist.  They are there.  They are set up by corporations, foundations, rich folk, sometimes they are state sponsored.  Of course a free ride would be nice, but then you're talking people who don't need the free ride.

Ever wonder why people who have everything always have things thrown their way?  I do.  My son competed for as many scholarships as he could.  Another relative did as well.  

Scholarships are everywhere for everyone and yes, some are specific to certain ethnic groups (but not all of them).  Even those ethnic groups have to meet certain criteria.  If they didn't have to, everyone and their relatives could get a scholarship.

I advise anyone looking for scholarship information to search for searchable databases and compile the thousands, if not millions of aid available for their children/grandchildren or themselves.

@itiswhatitis Well all I can say is good luck. Yes, I'm aware of all that. My daughter graduated with a GPA over 4.0. She applied for tons of scholarships. So did all of her peers in the same situation. No one received a scholarship. Perhaps we were considered "affluent" by scholarship standards which is a joke. The only merit based scholarships she was offered would still have cost us 50-80K per year. My daughter was well rounded,  outgoing, educated, volunteered, worked, and was a phenomenal dancer. 

She graduated from FSU with a 4.2 (if I remember correctly) GPA with no debt. She used Bright Futures and a grant for books. We paid the rest and she worked part time for spending money.  She has been gainfully employed since graduation making a good income. 

My son didn't get them either.  My son applied to many of them.  The thing is people give up too.  My son applied on his own merits.  Medicore students can't get scholarships.  Many of them must show civic engagement as well.

My children are both adults with their own families as well.  I'm not here to brag on them (though I could).  I am proud of both my children.  

*Call Tyrone*