Respected Contributor

Re: Florida Is Number 1 State for Higher Education

[ Edited ]

Noel, my son went to Harvard.  ALL financial need is met.  Everything!!!  My son did not qualify for it, but they still gave him a simple job, which he just asked for, so he would have LOTS of pin $.  I kid you not.

Check The College Solution website if you don't believe me.  These colleges make ALL students comfortable so they don't worry about odds and ends and paying back.  That is why a Brit friend of mine calls Harvard people the royalty of the US.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Noel, my son went to Harvard.  ALL financial need is met.  Everything!!!  My son did not qualify for it, but they still gave him a simple job, which he just asked for, so he would have LOTS of pin $.  I kid you not.

@KarenQVC

Then he is very special and very lucky, because applicants don't just show up at Harvard's door, announce they would like to attend free of charge, including a free dorm room and free meals, books and equipment, and have the registrar say "Welcome, we will be happy to pay for everything."

Respected Contributor

@Noel7  Check my addition to the last post, so you can see the list.  It is gravy to be had.

Frequent Contributor

Great info, @itiswhatitis!

thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

The evaluation I read puts Florida as the 29th state and Massachusetts at #1.  I guess it all depends on which article we read and which one we believe.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I think it depends on the major as well as a few other things. Florida didn't make the list for the top 25 schools in the nation for engineering so we won't be traveling there with our son.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC  I had the same experience at my Nursing school in 1968. I told them I had to get a job and they called me within a couple days with a list.I took one working in the hospital kitchen. Of course they accommadated my hours I was working or had class related to nursing school. Almost all our nurse aides on off shifts where I went to school were student nurses.

Valued Contributor

There is indeed an "affirmative action" in Ivy League schools that benefits the disadvantaged.  Read Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance.  He was a  recipient of that affirmative . Here's and excerpt from the book reflecting on his acceptance to Yale:

"I was sufficiently committed to going to Yale Law that I was willing to accept the two hundred thousand dollars or so in debt that I knew I’d accrue. Yet the financial aid package Yale offered exceeded my wildest dreams. In my first year, it was nearly a full ride. That wasn’t because of anything I’d done or earned—it was because I was one of the poorest kids in school. Yale offered tens of thousands in need-based aid. It was the first time being so broke paid so well. Yale wasn’t just my dream school, it was also the cheapest option on the table."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The article I read says Florida is highly ranked for students seeking a 2 year degree graduating in 3 years. Not a great claim to fame IMO.However , coming from Pittsburgh I am more accustommed to being in a mecca of higher education.Many colleges and one huge university. The Pittsburgh Promise practically giving away college tuition.

Esteemed Contributor

I come from one of the top ten college graduating states. The ultimate issue is how many students complete their degrees. I know that Florida has not done as well as other states in that department BUT for those bright kids who are motivated to earn their degrees, Florida will help them. Having worked at a university for three decades, I can tell you that those students who are motivated and supported can take advantage of excellent opportunities and become successful college graduates.