Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you think it's safe to pay with a DEBIT card for online purchases?

I always use mine, have never had a problem!

Honored Contributor

Online? NEVER!

I even stopped using my debit card  in regular stores.. I use a designated credit card....get points on each purchase  which add up to free dollars and then just pay it off at the end of the month.  No one has access to my money this way.

Respected Contributor

I set up a Pay Pal account and listed my debit card as a form of payment.

I always pay for on line purchases through Pay Pal.  I think they're as secure as any bank account can be.  Then when I pay through Pal Pal I have a choice whether I want to charge it to Pay Pal or my debit card.

Honored Contributor

I do use a debit card for internet purposes.

it is connected to special checking account that only has a low amount in it. If anyone gets a hold of the number they will not get much money. 

Honored Contributor

I would never use my debit card for online purchases or gas. No way. 

To be honest, I haven’t used my debit card in over two years now. I still have it, but I never use it. Thought I’d miss using it but I don’t. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Debit cards have all (or almost all) of the same protections of credit cards, but I would not want my Debit Card out in the four winds.

There is no "safe" retailer anymore.

TJ Maxx, Target, Barnes & Noble, Home Depot to jog your memory.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I use my debit card online at QVC and Amazon.  Locally, I use my debit card for just about everything. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think there are some things to keep in mind - a credit card purchase usually carries a measure of coverage from either Visa or MasterCard or American Express that protects you as the consumer. You can dispute a credit card purchase. Can you dispute a debit card transaction as easily?

On option that I second is PayPal. You can link your bank account to PayPal and they hold it encrypted from the merchant. When you select PayPal as the payment type (if it is offered) - the merchant collects their funds from PayPal and never even knows if it is coming from a credit card or your bank account. I only occasionally use PayPal, but it is another option to consider. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee

How do u know the sellers' reputation? When there's a problem, no one answers u.

I only buy from big companies like Costco, Bed/Bath, Walmart, QVC. If there's a problem, u can easily email them and/or call them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

@SilleeMee

How do u know the sellers' reputation? When there's a problem, no one answers u.

I only buy from big companies like Costco, Bed/Bath, Walmart, QVC. If there's a problem, u can easily email them and/or call them.

Yes, companies like you mentioned have good reputations. I wouldn't buy from some company no one has heard of or one that has bad reviews that you can read about on places like TrustPilot. @kivah

eta- I guess the word 'reputation' might not be exactly the right word. Maybe 'established' would be a better choice of word.