Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think it's safe to pay with a DEBIT card for online purchases?

@MsCatLuver.  You need to check with your bank and it's policies.  My bank, Bank of America, covers fraudulent debit card charges the same as credit cards.  I use my debit card constantly and have never had a problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I get slammed for being 'old' and not keeping up with new things, but I won't have a debit card. It has been my understanding that the banks now make good if they are compromised, but it still takes some time, and in the meantime all the money in that account is gone, with possibly other debits coming in and 'bouncing'. It is too risky for me. 

I have no problem using credit online. In my mind it is just safer, and if there is a problem, I still have my funds in the checking or whatever account the debit would be tied to, to continue to live on and pay bills. 

I've gone to mostly cash in my everyday life (gas groceries, restaurants, brick and mortar shopping etc.). It really helps me control my spending. When the wallet is empty, it's empty and I'm done buying. 

Respected Contributor

It is not safe to use a debit card for purchases anywhere because it's directly tied to your bank account.  People have had their accounts raided and end up with a 0 balance.  Use your debit card at the ATM machine to get enough money to make purchases.  For on-line shopping, use a credit card and the balance in full. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never use my debit card online, just everywhere else. I have 1 Credit card dedicated to all online purchases. It makes it easier to keep track.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Most debit cards are also a credit card.  Check and see if that is true for you card.

Respected Contributor

I have never had a debit card and don’t plan on getting one.  I do all my transactions by credit card or check.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel safer with a credit card.  Seems to be more time to fix a problem.  

Honored Contributor

yes

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MsCatLuver.  You need to check with your bank and it's policies.  My bank, Bank of America, covers fraudulent debit card charges the same as credit cards.  I use my debit card constantly and have never had a problem.

Mine does too.  For years I used a debit card everywhere (online, in stores, etc.) for everything, and I never had a problem.  I still use it occasionally, and I know that my bank treats it the same as a credit card in case of a problem.

Not all do, though, so it's important to check and find out for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I get slammed for being 'old' and not keeping up with new things, but I won't have a debit card. It has been my understanding that the banks now make good if they are compromised, but it still takes some time, and in the meantime all the money in that account is gone, with possibly other debits coming in and 'bouncing'. It is too risky for me. 

That's not the way it works with debit cards issued by my bank.  I would never use a debit card that carried that amount of risk and potential inconvenience.