Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think it's safe to pay with a DEBIT card for online purchases?

I do it all the time.
Esteemed Contributor

If you need something quickly - I'd go for it.  Here's a better idea (I think - and I did).  For on-line purchases and having cash to pay for it immediately - - - I got a PREPAID card through American Express.  They waive a charge, which I don't even know what it is.  Once you have an account - - - and in some drug stores,  you can add money to your balance often but.........never more than $200 in one day.  When I see something -, I check to see what my balance is and if not enough $ - I add $50 - $100 - and then make my purchase.  Known as AMERICAN EXPRESS SERVE.  You get a normal looking credit card for local purchases.

(should say:  on-line transfer funds from my bank checking account and it's transferred immed.  In a store you can add with cash)

Hope this helps........................It's so easy and safe    If thief gets your card number - he won't steal much!

Honored Contributor

No, I'm afraid I'd be the unlucky one to get wiped out, a debit card is too risky, it only takes one time.

Respected Contributor

No do not use a debit card online.

Respected Contributor

Anecdotal experience from me: been using one for years. Got skimmed once, probably at the gas station. The bank took care of it. You decide if it's worth any risk, like everything else we do these days.

Honored Contributor

For online purchases, no.   

Honored Contributor

I don't use a debit card for anything.  I use a credit card that has point system so I get money back for using it.  

Respected Contributor

Thats all I have. I have used it for Amazon to QVC and never had a problem. You can always buy a prepaid Visa or Mastercard if you dont feel comfortable using your debit card.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If ur debit card was stolen and charges racked up, does the bank repay u? Several years ago, I ordered an alarm clock for $75. from a scammy on-line company - 4alarmclocks dot com - and they sent me a broken clock. I called my credit card company and disputed this purchase - and I was credited. 

For some reason, I would never get a debit card. I always pay off my credit cards monthly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, but only if you follow some basic security tips like:

1- be certain of the sellers' reputation  establishment 

2- make sure that the website is secure and encrypted

3- never use your debit card on WiFi hotspots

4- never give your debit card account number in any emails

5- check your bank account often and check for suspicious charges