Honored Contributor

I saw on the early morning news a couple of days ago that one town up North had several calls to 911 due to all the noise.  I guess they thought someone was being hurt.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Re: Cicada Storm

[ Edited ]

Good morning folks!  Woo hoo off work today for a long, hopefully warm weekend!

so I love the cicada and look forward to the seasonal guys that chirp late July and August.However, living on the Eastern Shore of MD, we will not get this double brood and actually, we never get those.  Apparently, this area was underwater for centuries, so a solid ground foundation never formed for them to burrow.  They cannot burrow in our sandy soil as the habitat does not support them.  

I was curious as to why we don't get the onslaught and my local university entomology dept. helped me out with my curiosity.  However, my family 150 miles to the west over the Chesapeake Bay will get slammed!

Honored Contributor

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

What's that other word for them ? I can't remember.

I hate moths, too.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I hate moths, too.

@SharkE     I've heard them called KATYDIDS (some type of cricket)...which also make a lot of noise

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

They are very loud, and I hate seeing their empty shells all over. We don't have any large trees in our neighborhood, as it is a fairly new development, so I don't think we will see as many as I know they love the big trees. 

I am sure we will hear them though!!!

Honored Contributor

Probaly katydids.  I have no use for grasshoppers either.  If your reading at night and the moths are rampant your lible to get one flying right straight in your face. When you swat them they look just like dust

Nothing to them. I keep doors shut and don't stand there with the door wide open like some people.

I get more then my share of flies. Put out stinking water based traps to trap them. Yuck ! that stuff stinks

Esteemed Contributor

I so wish G@D had created a world without any types of bugs.

And snakes.

Other than that, I'm good.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

I think it was in June 2021 and while watching CNN a reporter was on the Capitol steps reporting and a cicada landed on his jacket collar and was crawling around while he was on camera he didn't notice or feel it until it starting crawling near his face, he quickly swatted it off and said 'WT- bleep! ' It was funny but not funny, felt sorry for the guy, eek!

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I hate moths, too.

A 'PITE'...Pain In The Ear.