Honored Contributor

Re: COnsumer Reports Grocery Store survey

I also agree that these lists are posted here from time to time from different sources; Wal-Mart is usually at the bottom because it is Wal-Mart.

Also, Shaw's is in New England; nobody here would know about it nor would they know about Stop "n Shop.  Or about many of the other stores listed in this thread.  I only knew 3 having lived near them.

You as the shoppers are really the only ones who can determine which store is right for you; there is nothing to indicate that all the variable  that make up a "good" store or a "bad" store are included in many of these lists.

I would know that Shaw's is not right for me if I still lived up there; but that doesn't mean another shopper wouldn't like them, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3  Not to change the subject here, but I want to tell you I think you have a really good signature line.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I buy A LOT at Trader Joes. 

For every day basics and salmon fillets, I shop at Lucky's.

I don't go to Safeway unless I have to.

I love getting food at Costco, but it's a real drive getting there.

I love going to Mom and Pop produce stores with local farmers.

I go to Molly Stone's for holiday food.

I go to an old family Italian butcher shop for excellent meat.  Not all that often, though, as we don't eat much meat.

Respected Contributor

I rarely go to Wal-Mart. Shopping there is very exhausting for me, and I find that their meat prices are high compared to other smaller locally, owned chains. They do have good prices on non-food items though. The Target grocery isn't bad though, I do like going there from time to time. 

My favorite grocery store is ShopRite. They are located on the East Coast, mainly Maryland, New Jersey, New York. They have really good sales on a lot of brands I purchase. I also like Save a Lot, which is similar to Aldi's. For being a "lower-end" store, their meat is very good and if you don't mind buying mostly generic, you can save a lot of money.

There aren't any Trader Joe's around me, and the closest Wegman's to me is out of my way as far as food shopping goes, but I've always wanted to go there. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart

The most common complaint I've read form a couple of sources was that the stores were dirty.

We were in Napa on business once and something came up we needed.  We went in the Walmart store for the item and I thought I'd also get a few food items while there.  The store was filthy, including actual filth on the produce.

That said, there was a Walmart near where our daughter was in college and it was as clean as a whistle. Nice people, too.  I took her there to load up whenever we visited her.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Aaaand...waiting for the Trader Joe's bashing to start... :-(

Nothing against the OP (I've started a similar thread re which chains people were happiest with), but really, only Walmart is nationwide. Any survey is only meaningful to the relatively small group of people who have the ability to shop at all of the listed stores and can actually rate them.

I'll never see 80% of the listed stores and know nothing about them to have an opinion of the survey accuracy.

@Moonchilde  ???  Some like TJ's, others don't.  I see some dislike for a variety of stores.  For the ultimate bashing, one cannot beat what one reads about Wal-Mart.

I agree with how these surveys are conducted; nobody could possible know all these stores unless they are using "professional" shoppers to rate them, which wouldn't surprise me.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Nothing against the OP (I've started a similar thread re which chains people were happiest with), but really, only Walmart is nationwide. Any survey is only meaningful to the relatively small group of people who have the ability to shop at all of the listed stores and can actually rate them.

I'll never see 80% of the listed stores and know nothing about them to have an opinion of the survey accuracy.

@Moonchilde  ???  Some like TJ's, others don't.  I see some dislike for a variety of stores.  For the ultimate bashing, one cannot beat what one reads about Wal-Mart.

I agree with how these surveys are conducted; nobody could possible know all these stores unless they are using "professional" shoppers to rate them, which wouldn't surprise me.

@Cakers3, I'm surprised at your ???

Literally every time someone starts a thread about how much they like Trader Joe's or what new items are for sale that month, people will come into the thread (clearly started for people who like the store) just to poo* in it, and on people who shop there. Happens.every.time.

It's the same trigger people have for Walmart. 

I don't ?? your ??

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

The whining about Walmart is getting old.  There were complaints, a lot, a few years ago, we rarely see it now.

And CS explained how they got their ratings and it wasn't professional shoppers.

Honored Contributor

ITA @Moonchilde

We don't see a lot of Walmart bashing but we sure do see it OFTEN for Trader Joe's.

Plus wild stories about TJ's that defy logic Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Cakers3, I'm surprised at your ???

Literally every time someone starts a thread about how much they like Trader Joe's or what new items are for sale that month, people will come into the thread (clearly started for people who like the store) just to poo* in it, and on people who shop there. Happens.every.time.

It's the same trigger people have for Walmart. 

I don't ?? your ??

@Moonchilde  Perhaps-I don't go into every TJ thread.  I do see posters saying "I don't shop there" or "I don't have aTJ near me".  So why post??  LOL

My ??? was just an opinion.  We usually don't see many threads about other stores except TJ's or Wal-Mart, so it's not surprising to see some who don't like one and/or the other. 

It is not a requirement to like TJ's to post on a TJ thread; some people have had poor experiences with them.  I do shop there for a few items but not for others.