QVC Customer Care

Re: Big 10 Football returnes

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind

Valued Contributor

I find it irresponsible.  It's money over health and safety.  The schools and the NCAA are against student athletes in revenue producing sports receiving compensation.  But they are completely okay with them putting their health on the line for TV and merchandise revenue for the schools.  Do not mention the scholarships as compensation.  Football and basketball bring in more money for these schools than they will ever pay out in scholarships.  They fund entire athletic departments.  They make it possible for college coaches to become multi-millionaires.  Schools will be selling their jerseys for profit the players will never see. 

The student athletes will not be in a bubble.  Colleges and Universities are being hit hard with covid 19 outbreaks.  Will the student athletes who contract the virus and suffer long term effects keep their scholarships?  Will the school pay for their health care costs?  This is a business but the companies (the universities) get to use virtually free labor.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Big 10 refers to the conference.  Each conference has a selection of teams within it that vie for the conference title and then they play other conference winners to determine the big trophies. 

College football is a bit of a mess in regards as to how they do their playoffs but it's along the same vibe as other professional leagues and divisions within a sport.  

Big 10 is the Midwest region. 

SEC or the Southeastern Conference is divided into SEC East and SEC West for the schools in those regional areas,

ACC is the Atlantic Conference for teams on the east coast.

Pac-12 is the Pacific Conference for those schools on the West coast, etc...

Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom it seems you would know by now that someone with no symptoms can spread the corona virus to others. It is not a stretch at all. Colleges where the virus is widespread are advising students not to go home but are isolating those who test positive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It boggles the mind (mine, anyway) that putting some of these players at extreme risk of contracting myocarditis  in the long term, after being infected, seems to be okay with coaches, politicians, even parents.  

Some cite statistics, claiming that this side effect will only affect a miniscule number of players.   One TV host of a daily call-in show went so far yesterday as saying this will affect only the Offensive Linemen (OL) because they are over weight, anyway!   Can you believe this dribble?  Would you want your son in that "miniscule" category?

It amazes me that Americans are so caught up in this, that we can't do without or delay such trivial pleasures, that we are willing to let young men die ... much like the Gladiators of Rome ... for our entertainment.   

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, but they don't begin until Oct 23 and 24.  The season is more than half over by then.  From Ohio, but a Michigan fan. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

YEA!  Go Big Red!  And please don't give me a reason to not watch College Football. No longer watch any pro sport, including the one that goes with my nic.  🏒🥅

hckynut 

I get your drift and disagree wholeheartedly.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ Tinkrbl44

It did originally but now there are 14.  The Big 12 has 10 schools.  

The conferences change schools but not the name/number.  

Big 12 fan here but go Penn State.