Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice phone brand to buy (Galaxy)

BIG Samsung fan here!  Started with Samsung Infuse, then the S4 and now to the S7 Edge and I Love it!!!   Looong battery life, beautiful display, great camera.  A little bigger than what I had previously but haven't had any problems getting used to more real estate.

AT&T carrier Next Plan.  (Shame we all have to pay for these now).

It's Always Your Favorite Sins...that do you in
Kenny Chesney/Grace Potter
Honored Contributor

I still have a Galaxy S4.  I'm through Verizon and I'd never have another carrier.  Love them.

My S4 is a little over 2 years old. I did have to buy a new battery for it about a month ago as it kept turning off.  Apparently at the 2 year mark, you do need to replace the battery.

How long the battery lasts during the day obviously depends on how much I use the phone for texting, data, etc.  I don't use it that much generally that it dies during my work day.  Usually it's early evening when it starts to run low. 

I am going to wait until Black Friday and hopefully buy a new Galaxy. 

Word of advice.  There is no such thing as the $1.00 phone through Best Buy.  If you do something like that, Verizon makes you sign a 2-year contract (which is okay with me) but instread of $10.00 per line that I pay now, they increase it to $20.00 per line.  If you don't want a contract, you have to outright buy the phone which is several hundred dollars but then your per line charge is $10.00.  Either way, you are paying for the phone one way or another.           

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

Yes, that is what I was thinking.  Not sure if I shoud jump ship and go to ATT or Verizon.  

I was hoping not only to get a good phone but a good plan as well.

Any suggestions for carrier?

All the carriers should have the S7 by now.

All the  plans are  not the same.  Some of  them you own the phone and others you lease.. 

Respected Contributor

I think Samsung has really stepped up their game and the S7 is a serious contender to the iPhone. (I have plenty of Apple products.) I have a Samsung Galaxy phone, but the more modestly-priced J7. It does a lot more than you would thing with 2 gigs of RAM and an octocore processor. It's also has 5G connectivity. I want to keep my bills low, so I buy the phone outright. $250 vs $700-plus. That's a lot for something that will be obsolete in a couple of years. Would rather put the money in a great laptop, which I need for working.

What to love about hte S7? Water-resistence, expandable memory and replacable battery. Beautiful design. The iPhone is fantastic and of superior build but you don't have expandable memory, water resistance or a replaceable battery.

I think T Mobile has some kind of special on Galaxys. Verizon to me is king, but T Mobile has vastly improved coverage. I live in NYC and T Mobile is really great here.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu

Left my suggestion on the Electronics Forum.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I cannot advise as to the phone brand/model, but I will say that if you can avoid ATT, it will be to your benefit.  Smiley Happy

Verizon has come out on top for quite a few years and if I ever change carriers, that's where I will go.

My husband has ATT for his cell phone carrier, and it's just been awful for the last several years.  I just left ATT for landline and internet, as it went from being ok years ago to being just awful, purely AWFUL, and unreliable for the past year or so.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the Galaxy S7 and have a few complaints about it.  I went with Verizon for the buy 1, get 1 and my biggest complaint it's going on 5 months without receiving that rebate for the 2nd phone though it's been promised to me as all the uploaded information they required after purchase they received just fine.

My phone started getting odd notifications pertaining to functionality that I was not using nor had any interest in using such as the Samsung Gear virtual headset.  Also, when I changed wallpaper or "themes" as they call it, I later got odd notifications about that every few days.  I googled to see if anyone else was getting these and there were complaints from much earlier versions and yet the new S7 is supposed to have the latest, greatest Android software.  Makes wish I had purchased an iphone which a family relative has with ATT - reception is great and no such notifications. 

There was a recent update to my phone and the notifications seemed to have stopped I am hoping.   I did have to lodge a complaint with Samsung. 

All in all I would say that I will never buy another Android cell phone.  Regarding battery life, if you use a lot of data it will drain your battery very fast otherwise there is long life to the battery.  Also, that new fast charging station is very nice. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I cannot advise as to the phone brand/model, but I will say that if you can avoid ATT, it will be to your benefit.  Smiley Happy

Verizon has come out on top for quite a few years and if I ever change carriers, that's where I will go.

My husband has ATT for his cell phone carrier, and it's just been awful for the last several years.  I just left ATT for landline and internet, as it went from being ok years ago to being just awful, purely AWFUL, and unreliable for the past year or so.

@chickenbutt

i have to disagree with you on this one.....maybe it depends on your area?

i have att and a galaxy and my kids have verizon and iphones through their dads service. they have way more service problems than i ever do.....and it is very rare for me to have problems or dead spots.

just came back from the beach and even sitting near the water my phone worked well. i love listening to the 70s on 7 on sirius/xm while i am sitting and watching the waves.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Hi Sunshine!  Smiley Happy  I think I like saying that.  

Anyway, point taken.  I think you are very much right that services will vary from area to area.   Man, ATT cell service is really bad here.  I don't have it, only my husband does.    So that's where I see the problems for the most part here.  

As for Verizon, they do always seem to get the highest marks, nation-wide and in most areas.  But I'm sure the same principle applies - there will always be areas that vary in service quality and such.

I have Sprint now and don't love it at all.  I was with Nextel for many years and they were acquired by Sprint and it was a shame because Nextel was GREAT.  I only have a dumbphone, though, so I don't require as many services for my cell phone.  In that regard it's ok but I don't think I could recommend them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

Yes, that is what I was thinking.  Not sure if I shoud jump ship and go to ATT or Verizon.  

I was hoping not only to get a good phone but a good plan as well.

Any suggestions for carrier?

All the carriers should have the S7 by now.

All the  plans are  not the same.  Some of  them you own the phone and others you lease.. 

@Nuttmeg, I know.  What can I do about this?

*Call Tyrone*