Honored Contributor

A tree is probably going to hit our house

We have a large maple tree behind us. Pretty substantial tree, very tall. Not the standard backyard maple tree. 

We have had quite a bit of snow today and I heard some cracking about 30 minutes ago and went out on the deck to look and the maple isn’t going to make it. It’s dark out there so it’s hard to see, but the tree is definitely leaning toward the house.  Just a matter of time before it comes down. 

If the entire tree falls, it will hit our deck and probably the French doors that lead out on the deck. 

My hope is that the branches will crack off, soon,  and that the entire tree won’t come down. I’m actually leading a cheer for the branches to go ahead and break. Less stress on the rest of the tree. 

Nothing we can do to stop it. It’s dark. Several inches of snow and too dangerous to go out there. And too tall for us even if it were day time. 

To say I’m slightly on edge would be an understatement. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: A tree is probably going to hit our house

Are you and your family in any danger, @gidgetgh?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

An emergency call to a tree trimming service?

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh  I'm sorry about the tree. Hopefully it will withstand the snow.  It certainly is a mess here. Still snowing in the Norcross/Duluth area. I just hope we don't lose power. Weatherman just said he thinks this is the worse since '93.

Honored Contributor

I would rather pay someone to remove the branches and/or tree than to pay for remodeling a home, rebuilding a home and most of all paying for medical expenses and/or funeral.

Just saying.....

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Are you and your family in any danger, @gidgetgh?

@suzyQ3- we’re fine in the living room. Thanks for asking. 

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

An emergency call to a tree trimming service?

@deepwaterdotter- I thought about it, but I don’t think they can get out here. The roads are just about impassable. We don’t have plows here. 

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh

I would stay clear of the backyard and that end of the house. You should definitely contact a tree removal service. Won’t they have lights on their rigs? You don’t want anyone injured & I can’t even imagine the damage it could do to your home.

Stay safe! 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I would rather pay someone to remove the branches and/or tree than to pay for remodeling a home, rebuilding a home and most of all paying for medical expenses and/or funeral.

Just saying.....

@Mz iMac- it’s pitch dark out there and the roads are just about impassable. We don’t have plows here. The lowest branches are too high for my husband and me to reach and it’s not safe enough to be out there. 

My husband doesn’t think it will come down. I’m really still hoping some of the branches will go ahead and come down relieving some of the stress on the bulk of tree till someone can get out here. 

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

@gidgetgh

I would stay clear of the backyard and that end of the house. You should definitely contact a tree removal service. Won’t they have lights on their rigs? You don’t want anyone injured & I can’t even imagine the damage it could do to your home.

Stay safe! 

@Tribesters- not going near it. Our bedroom is above the kitchen but our second story is pretty high up. I’m sleeping in the living room. My husband thinks I’m being ridiculous. Whatever.