Respected Contributor

When I use shampoo I can go 3 days without washing. By the end of the second day I notice my scalp is a tiny bit sore in a few places - I think it's from making my hair go a certain way when it truly grows in a different direction (hope that makes sense.) I wet the roots in those tiny spots and all is fine.

When I use WEN, those sore spots are there less than 24 hours later. Also, it's always been easier styling my hair on the 3rd day after shampoo. With WEN, by the second day my hair is starting to clump together. Styling isn't easy any day...use my curling iron and by the time I get to work, my hair is doing what it wants, not what I want.

I have thick hair. It is never greasy or oily, never was even when I was young. I hate cleansing every day or every other day as it always takes a while to do that. {#emotions_dlg.sad} I only use the cleanse stuff, not the other stuff. Also, I don't cleanse 2x. It just takes too long. Is that what I'm doing wrong?

-Kalli

Honored Contributor

Re: WEN - what I don't like....

Could be, but you also might not be rinsing enough. Think of a double cleanse as a cleansing step and a conditioning step, as you would normally do with traditional shampoo and conditioner. Would you only shampoo and not condition your hair? I don't know what your WEN cleansing system is, but you need to add that splash of water to work up a "froth" and massage that into your hair. Concentrate on your scalp during the first application. Rinse well. On the second application you still want to concentrate on the scalp, but also on the length of your hair. Be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse. You might try a different formula cleansing conditioner, too. Tea Tree is especially good for the scalp.

Esteemed Contributor

Kalli,

Which formula are you using?

In addition to what JLF said, Wen has a learning curve to find what works for your hair.

I've been using Wen consistently since September. I recently found the CCs and regimen that benefit my hair.

Also, while I am cleansing more frequently than with Pantene Curly, my hair and scalp are in much better condition. From what I gather from other Wenners here, my cleansing frequency will reduce as my hair gets healthier.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I've been using Tea Tree and then switched to six thirteen. Same results with each one. I think my problem is the thickness of my hair. Maybe I'm not getting all the wen out but I do rinse quite a bit - always have due to the thickness of my hair. If I go through that whole process 2x, it will be a very long shower. By the second day, my hair feels heavy, not light and airy like when I use shampoo. I think that's why my scalp gets sore sooner - my hair is heavier, if that makes sense.

I'm not excited about trying a ton of different wen cleansers since it will get expensive. I'm not psyched about finishing the 2 that I have buy I'll force myself since they weren't cheap.

One thing I noticed was that my hair did hold its color on the sides a tiny bit better.

-Kalli

Contributor

I can't use tea tree. Seriously weighs down my hair and leaves it dry and dull.
Contributor

I totally agree that WEN has a learning curve. I have been using it about 3 years and my hair has never been healthier, really! I have found that I have better results when I use more cleanser. In the long run, it even itself out, as I don't have to cleanse as often. So, I am not really going through more product, even though I am using more each time. But I get better results that way. Chaz says that Cucumber Aloe is the most astringent, and I so agree! I can go at least a day longer, sometimes two, between cleansings when using CA. Also, I love the seasonal scents, so I usually mix the CA with whatever seasonal scent I am currently using, and it works great....I get the benefits of both! I used to get frustrated when someone said a product had a "learning curve", but I certainly have found that to be true with WEN, and it has been worth it. Oh, and if I use more product, I find I don't have to do the second cleansing (I don't like taking the time, either...) and my results are just as good. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I have super thick and coarse hair too, so I hear you on the time issue (I get those sore spots too! Only after three days or so though). It takes forEVer to rinse all the WEN out of my hair. But honestly I do find that doing two cleanses works better for me. I also find I have to use more CC than is recommended for my hair length and than most people use, so I'm wondering how much you are using and if it's enough. I have 32oz bottles in my shower and I normally use 12-16 pumps for each cleanse. One thing I notice is I can't use enough if I don't split it into two cleanses...the most I can work into my hair in a single cleanse without it all just globbing out onto the shower floor is about 18 pumps. (613 pump is different and pumps out more product, but I can't use it alone so I don't know how much you would need). So maybe try the double cleanse and looking at how much CC you're using? You can call the salon for their advice on how much to use too...the number is on the back of the bottles. I hope this helps!
Respected Contributor

I LOVED WEN when I used it. If they would take out the Menthol, I would be back in a heartbeat. When I got Alopecia Areata, the menthol irritated the spots that are tender & bald. I tried the Kids Non-Menthol, but I just didn't care for the fruity flavors.

Does anyone know why the need for the Menthol? Does it have something to do with cleansing?

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

I can't speak to the sore spots, but I don't experience the clumping on the second day. It sounds like you aren't rinsing enough and leaving some residue behind that's causing the clumping.

You mention your curls won't hold and that you aren't using the WEN styling products. What styling products are you using? You don't have to use the WEN styling products, but you should be using something, especially if you're using heat on your hair. What are you using now and what did you use before WEN?

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2014 Mistic said:

I LOVED WEN when I used it. If they would take out the Menthol, I would be back in a heartbeat. When I got Alopecia Areata, the menthol irritated the spots that are tender & bald. I tried the Kids Non-Menthol, but I just didn't care for the fruity flavors.

Does anyone know why the need for the Menthol? Does it have something to do with cleansing?

I think it's strictly for scalp stimulation, not cleaning. (Otherwise the kids formula wouldn't work very well.)