Respected Contributor

Re: WEN - what I don't like....

Thanks everyone for your advice. During the week I changed my cleansing routine as was recommended here. I used more water to work up a "lather" of sorts. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. Also I cleansed 2x. I never use any styling gels, sprays, etc. I just blow dry and use a curling iron, so that's what I did.

Result: the first time I washed, I rinsed for what seemed like forever. I was very pleased with the styling and didn't have to wash for 3 days. Had minimal scalp soreness and my hair didn't feel heavy, even by the 3rd day.

Second time I did everything the same but styled it differently and wasn't pleased. BUT, I don't think it had anything to do with WEN, more to do with the way I styled it - it kinda seemed limp.

So, tomorrow I'm cleansing again and going to style it into my original style. Thanks for all the help here. I think it was true, I wasn't using enough water when cleansing and I wasn't rinsing enough.

Honored Contributor

I learned that I have to rinse leaning forward, and then standing up straight. Just couldn't seem to rinse well enough otherwise. Glad you are giving it a good try, I'm a first time drop-out who came back & fell in love.

PATIENTLY WAITING (FOR ME) FOR 613 OIL) {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

the only thing i DON'T like is the cost...

Regular Contributor

When I use Wen my head has a lot of sores and I rinse alot. I purchased tons when on sale and now I am trying to get it used.

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2014 Mistic said:

I LOVED WEN when I used it. If they would take out the Menthol, I would be back in a heartbeat. When I got Alopecia Areata, the menthol irritated the spots that are tender & bald. I tried the Kids Non-Menthol, but I just didn't care for the fruity flavors.

Does anyone know why the need for the Menthol? Does it have something to do with cleansing?

There really is not real need and in actuality, menthol can cause irritation which over time can cause issues, probably the reason some do experience issues. A better, more safe way to stimulate the scalp would be to use the pads on your fingers and gently do a nice scalp massage. I really wish he'd remove menthol too, as well as out of the body cleanser. I finished up my body cleanser but decided I won't repurchase again unless he comes out with one without the menthol. Menthol is a known irritant and I am trying to completely remove it from my skincare, bodycare and haircare. I really do not like the "cooling" sensation it has. The kids formula was too drying and the scents were to strong and sweet smelling for my taste.

Respected Contributor

I don't like the learning curve. I wish it was easier to use. I think many times people don't get the best results because they use the product incorrectly or don't use it correctly for their hair type. I wish the directions were a little easier, so everyone could have healthy Wen hair. I have been using Wen for almost two years and I am still learning the best ways to use Wen. It is the best hair product I have ever used!!! And trust me, I have used a lot of hair products.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Super Contributor

On 2/22/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 2/20/2014 Mistic said:

I LOVED WEN when I used it. If they would take out the Menthol, I would be back in a heartbeat. When I got Alopecia Areata, the menthol irritated the spots that are tender & bald. I tried the Kids Non-Menthol, but I just didn't care for the fruity flavors.

Does anyone know why the need for the Menthol? Does it have something to do with cleansing?

There really is not real need and in actuality, menthol can cause irritation which over time can cause issues, probably the reason some do experience issues. A better, more safe way to stimulate the scalp would be to use the pads on your fingers and gently do a nice scalp massage. I really wish he'd remove menthol too, as well as out of the body cleanser. I finished up my body cleanser but decided I won't repurchase again unless he comes out with one without the menthol. Menthol is a known irritant and I am trying to completely remove it from my skincare, bodycare and haircare. I really do not like the "cooling" sensation it has. The kids formula was too drying and the scents were to strong and sweet smelling for my taste.

HD, I understand your concerns about menthol. It can be an irritant, but it's also known for it's calming effects, so it depends on how a person reacts to it.

Just my personal experience, I enjoy the cooling sensation - same as having menthol or mint in toothpaste, breath mints, etc. Just gives me a clean feeling. I'm sorry you have problems with it. I know how frustrating it is to have a problem with an ingredient that seems to be everywhere.

Honored Contributor

But the kids does not contain it so there really is no need for it. I wish he'd make an adults without the menthol.