Regular Contributor

Face Breakout - Most likely culprit?

About a month ago, I bought Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm and was using it at night after a makeup wipe to wash off CC cream and sunscreen (sunscreen applied to different areas from the CC cream). It didn't seem to completely wash everything off because in the morning I could tell there was still sunscreen left over, so I started using Tatcha's Rice Enzyme Powder (an exfoliating cleanser) in the a.m. to wash my face, every day. I've used the Tatcha before, but only a couple times a week.

A couple weeks later, my face broke out like it never did before - red and swollen pimples, cystic pimples, dry patches, etc. So stopped using both of those and my face is slowly clearing up. Does anyone know whether the Clinique or Tatcha would be the most likely to have caused the breakout? I don't know if I'm sensitive to something in the Clinique or if using the Tatcha every day overexfoliated my face.

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Face Breakout - Most likely culprit?

Just judging by your timeline, I would hazard a guess that it is the Tatcha product. But if you're determined to find out, you'd have to introduce first one of them and use it daily for a couple weeks. If nothing happens, then do the same with the other product.

And of course, there's always the possibility that something else occurred that made you break out. But again, your timeline points to one of the products.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Violet Fields wrote:

About a month ago, I bought Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm and was using it at night after a makeup wipe to wash off CC cream and sunscreen (sunscreen applied to different areas from the CC cream). It didn't seem to completely wash everything off because in the morning I could tell there was still sunscreen left over, so I started using Tatcha's Rice Enzyme Powder (an exfoliating cleanser) in the a.m. to wash my face, every day. I've used the Tatcha before, but only a couple times a week.

A couple weeks later, my face broke out like it never did before - red and swollen pimples, cystic pimples, dry patches, etc. So stopped using both of those and my face is slowly clearing up. Does anyone know whether the Clinique or Tatcha would be the most likely to have caused the breakout? I don't know if I'm sensitive to something in the Clinique or if using the Tatcha every day overexfoliated my face.

TIA!

I broke our right away with Tatcha Rice Powder.  It took about two weeks for me to clear up.  I can't use Kate Sommerville face scrub or Laura Mercier's scrub either.  

Honored Contributor

Could be either. I have sensitive skin and the Tatcha bothered me after maybe 2 weeks of use. It didn't give me cystic acne, but it made me red, dry, and flaky. But it could be the balm or it could even be something unrelated to either (Stress, a new laundry detergent on the pillowcase, etc.)

The only way to know which one it was for sure is to reintroduce them one at a time and looking for signs before it gets too bad. I do that to verify what irritates my skin or narrow ingredients that cause irritation. It's a pain, but it gets me to the root cause and is a big help in learning what to avoid in future purchases.

I know that the first thing we all want to when we get new products is to use them all at once, so I understand the impossible statement I am about to make: In the future, only try one new item at a time. That way, if something does bother you, it will be easier to figure out which item it was.

In the past, I know I've blamed products for problems and then reintroduced them and had no issues at all with them. I'm pretty sure I once blamed hormonal acne on a new foundation that I later tried again and loved. It pays to be careful and it can be costly to blame the wrong product and throw things out without knowing if it's the real cause of irritation or not.

Respected Contributor

I rarely breakout, however occasionally a new skin cream will do this.  I started using Skinn Hydro Vitale, and I broke out.  I stopped it, and also a new foundation I started.  I waited about 5 days eliminating both, and just re-started Skinn Hydro Vitale,  and got black, clogged pores.  So,I suggest you eliminate all, and re-introduce one product at a time for a couple of days.   We are all unique in how our skin responds to ANY product no matter how GREAT the reviews.   

Honored Contributor

I have perhaps the most sensitive skin in the world and the Take of the Day is one of the things that does not bother my skin.

Personally I would try one for two weeks and see what happens if you break out then it is the cause and if you do not break out, I would do the same with the other product. 

Could it be that the combination of the two things has caused the reaction, and but separately they are fine.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I think by the timeline was perhaps the Tacha. Depending on the product most sunscreens make me get plugged pores. Enzyme powders can irritate me big time. I canonly use a foaming face wash and NO BALMS. Over Exfoliating can be just as bad as under doing that. Give face time to heal.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for all your much appreciated replies! After my face is back to normal, I'll try reintroducing one of them, probably the cleansing balm but maybe just on half my face. I'd really hate for this to happen again! Maybe the Tatcha is just too harsh for my skin, which is really sensitive. Tatcha has a gentle version of that enzyme powder, but I'd hesitate to try it if the classic one is the problem. For now, I'm just wearing a big hat since sunscreen is so hard to get off!

Contributor

Personally, I think it is the Tatcha rice powder.  I have sensitive combo skin, and after using this off and on for about 2 months, the pores on my nose became infected and I ended up with red, peeling skin and pores began oozing and scabbing over. Ended up going to Doctor and he prescribed ointment that treats mersa.  After 3 weeks, beginning to clear up ..and I'm only using dove soap now and am afraid to use any moisturizer at all.

Esteemed Contributor

What you experienced has happened to me once a couple of years ago, and I ended up at a dermatologist's office - I was miserable. As it turned out, the culprit was over-exfoliating my skin. I was using a clarisonic that I had bought from the Q every night. I stopped using it and after several weeks, my face finally got back to normal. I also changed my face wash - started using the mild Cetaphil facial wash (also use Cera Ve face wash if it's on sale at the drug store). Like a lot of other women, I have sensitive skin, and the constant use of exfoliating products/tools wreaked havoc on my skin.