Regular Contributor

Re: Face Breakout - Most likely culprit?

@Stormygirl wrote:

I think by the timeline was perhaps the Tacha. Depending on the product most sunscreens make me get plugged pores. Enzyme powders can irritate me big time. I canonly use a foaming face wash and NO BALMS. Over Exfoliating can be just as bad as under doing that. Give face time to heal.

Why is it that you can't use balms? Do they leave a film or clog pores? I've tried foaming face washes in the past but they seemed too drying for my skin, which is really dry in the winter.

Regular Contributor

@pnutsmom wrote:

Personally, I think it is the Tatcha rice powder.  I have sensitive combo skin, and after using this off and on for about 2 months, the pores on my nose became infected and I ended up with red, peeling skin and pores began oozing and scabbing over. Ended up going to Doctor and he prescribed ointment that treats mersa.  After 3 weeks, beginning to clear up ..and I'm only using dove soap now and am afraid to use any moisturizer at all.

What a terrible experience! I'm glad you're recovering. I'm skipping the moisturizer on the really bad areas of my face, unless those parts are too dry. Aloe vera gel is helping some of those areas. I should've known better with sensitive skin than to use that enzyme powder every day. Live and learn I guess!

Respected Contributor

@Violet Fields wrote:

Thank you for all your much appreciated replies! After my face is back to normal, I'll try reintroducing one of them, probably the cleansing balm but maybe just on half my face. I'd really hate for this to happen again! Maybe the Tatcha is just too harsh for my skin, which is really sensitive. Tatcha has a gentle version of that enzyme powder, but I'd hesitate to try it if the classic one is the problem. For now, I'm just wearing a big hat since sunscreen is so hard to get off!

I cant use the Tatcha regular cleansing powder, but the one for sensitive skin works just fine on me. I have highly reactive skin including rosacea.

Regular Contributor

@Jannabelle wrote:

What you experienced has happened to me once a couple of years ago, and I ended up at a dermatologist's office - I was miserable. As it turned out, the culprit was over-exfoliating my skin. I was using a clarisonic that I had bought from the Q every night. I stopped using it and after several weeks, my face finally got back to normal. I also changed my face wash - started using the mild Cetaphil facial wash (also use Cera Ve face wash if it's on sale at the drug store). Like a lot of other women, I have sensitive skin, and the constant use of exfoliating products/tools wreaked havoc on my skin.

After what everyone is saying, I think I was overexfoliating also. I've heard the clarisonic isn't good for really sensitive skin. Do you wear sunscreen on your face? If you do, does the Cetaphil face wash get it all off? I wear zinc sunscreen and it's hard to get off. I was using Tatcha's oil cleanser but ran out of it - that's why I got the Clinique balm. The oil cleanser worked pretty well, but sometimes I still had some sunscreen left on my face in the morning.

Regular Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@Violet Fields wrote:

Thank you for all your much appreciated replies! After my face is back to normal, I'll try reintroducing one of them, probably the cleansing balm but maybe just on half my face. I'd really hate for this to happen again! Maybe the Tatcha is just too harsh for my skin, which is really sensitive. Tatcha has a gentle version of that enzyme powder, but I'd hesitate to try it if the classic one is the problem. For now, I'm just wearing a big hat since sunscreen is so hard to get off!

I cant use the Tatcha regular cleansing powder, but the one for sensitive skin works just fine on me. I have highly reactive skin including rosacea.

Hmm, that's good to know! I have rosacea also. Maybe I'll try the gentle one after a while.

Honored Contributor

I'm having cleanser issues as well.  I bought the Rodan + Fields regimen called Reverse to even out my skintone.  It came with an exfoliating cleanser.  They do have you slowly introduce the products so you start off using them every other day only in the morning for a week, then everyday, then you start using everything every other day at night too, etc.

I was fine using every other day but after about 4 or 5 days of using it every single day, I got red dots all over my face, my skin got super itchy and I got really dry patches on my chin area.  I'm stopping the cleanser altogether until my skin gets back to normal and then I think I'm only going to be able to use it a few times a week.     

Frequent Contributor

About a month ago, I bought Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm and was using it at night after a makeup wipe to wash off CC cream and sunscreen (sunscreen applied to different areas from the CC cream). It didn't seem to completely wash everything off because in the morning I could tell there was still sunscreen left over, so I started using Tatcha's Rice Enzyme Powder (an exfoliating cleanser) in the a.m. to wash my face, every day. I've used the Tatcha before, but only a couple times a week.

A couple weeks later, my face broke out like it never did before - red and swollen pimples, cystic pimples, dry patches, etc. So stopped using both of those and my face is slowly clearing up. Does anyone know whether the Clinique or Tatcha would be the most likely to have caused the breakout? I don't know if I'm sensitive to something in the Clinique or if using the Tatcha every day overexfoliated my face.

TIA!

@Violet Fields  Please check the ingredients in your makeup wipes.  If they contain methylisothiazolinone, chances are excellent that's your culprit.  It took me months to discover my extreme allergy to this chemical.  I began a post in Community Chat in August, titled "If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash," and I posted some links with information and photos that you can compare to your problem. Best of luck with your skin issues.

Regular Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm having cleanser issues as well.  I bought the Rodan + Fields regimen called Reverse to even out my skintone.  It came with an exfoliating cleanser.  They do have you slowly introduce the products so you start off using them every other day only in the morning for a week, then everyday, then you start using everything every other day at night too, etc.

I was fine using every other day but after about 4 or 5 days of using it every single day, I got red dots all over my face, my skin got super itchy and I got really dry patches on my chin area.  I'm stopping the cleanser altogether until my skin gets back to normal and then I think I'm only going to be able to use it a few times a week.     

Sorry to hear you're also having issues! It's so frustrating when you buy something new and have problems with it. My face was really itchy too. It's a little better now.

Regular Contributor

@Amarica wrote:

About a month ago, I bought Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm and was using it at night after a makeup wipe to wash off CC cream and sunscreen (sunscreen applied to different areas from the CC cream). It didn't seem to completely wash everything off because in the morning I could tell there was still sunscreen left over, so I started using Tatcha's Rice Enzyme Powder (an exfoliating cleanser) in the a.m. to wash my face, every day. I've used the Tatcha before, but only a couple times a week.

A couple weeks later, my face broke out like it never did before - red and swollen pimples, cystic pimples, dry patches, etc. So stopped using both of those and my face is slowly clearing up. Does anyone know whether the Clinique or Tatcha would be the most likely to have caused the breakout? I don't know if I'm sensitive to something in the Clinique or if using the Tatcha every day overexfoliated my face.

TIA!

@Violet Fields  Please check the ingredients in your makeup wipes.  If they contain methylisothiazolinone, chances are excellent that's your culprit.  It took me months to discover my extreme allergy to this chemical.  I began a post in Community Chat in August, titled "If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash," and I posted some links with information and photos that you can compare to your problem. Best of luck with your skin issues.

Thanks! I'll check for that ingredient. Your post sounds excellent - I'll check it out.

Regular Contributor

It could be both, but it's definitely the Clinique Take the Day Off Balm. I waited until my face finally calmed down, then tried the Clinique a couple weeks after that and used it on half of my face for several days (maybe a week). It broke out again like before, so I quit using it as soon as that happened. Now I have to figure out why - whether it's an ingredient that's doing it or what. Any ideas?