Respected Contributor

@DCAnnie2004 wrote:

I usually had a family friend, who is an accountant, do my taxes for me each year. My situation is very easy -- I have no dependents and still rent in a large city.

Do you think I can do my own taxes?  Any tips?

You can go to the IRS.gov website and they partner with software companies to be able to do your taxes online.  You can start there and if you decide you do not want to do it, go to AARP Tax Aide locator.  AARP volunteers do taxes free.   

These are the ppl you see in local libraries preparing taxes that someone already mentioned (I was a volunteer for about 6 years in northern VA).  If your online name is any indication and you live in Wash DC, I just checked and there are about 5 or 6 different libaries in DC that do it.  You can call to see if they have any restrictions.  Although AARP is for ppl 50 or older, we did it for anyone but tried to cap it so we didn't have really high income ppl using our service.  Each site sets their own guidelines - some would like you to make an appointment and others allow all day walk ins others allow walk ins only if the lines to do it are not long.   

Super Contributor

Thanks @Financialgrl. I actually live in Northern Virginia.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely!   The first year I did mine after I got a computer,  I started with TaxAct and was just playing around with it.   Before I knew it I was finished and my taxes were done.   They ask and you answer the appropriate questions very simply put.   Nothing to it.   Use your old tax forms as a guide. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

There is a team of volunteers that have done taxes at senior center for at least 10 years.  We do uncomplicated ones only.  We've been using Taxslayer for a number of years.  We've tried TurboTax and Tax Act, but Taxslayer is the easiest for us.

Respected Contributor

Definitely.  Do them online.  It is very spoon fed, you don't even need to understand the questions.  It tells you where to find the answers, and you just input it.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

OP, I am single no dependants, also rented, and had no deductions. I filed 1040EZ tax returns online for a good 17 years. Cheap and easy. I had to pay someone else to do it last year when I retired and will have to pay someone this year, but after that I can probably go back to doing my own.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

When we moved to Florida we had capital gains and other complicated things so we had our taxes done for us at HR Block - the preparer told us next year to use their website and do them ourselves as they are going to be very simple.We have done that ever since2011, previously we did our taxes with turbo tax and they too were simple to use.I highly recommend doing them yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

I have done my own taxes forever.  I think I paid once. Please check the IRS site https://www.irs.gov/ . Some folks can do free e-file. See, if you quality. You need to make a paper copy of all documents you generate.

Honored Contributor

@DCAnnie2004

Of course you can.   No biggie.

Contributor

Definitely! I've been doing my own taxes since I had my first job at 16. I'm 42 now and still do them.