Super Contributor

After using Miele, Hoover, Shark, I decided to get the DC65 and I can't wait to return it so I can get the Shark powered lift away. I did not think I would ever return the dyson before I received it, but after using it I am really disappointed with its performance both on the carpet and its ability to pick up kitty litter on the floor.

Today I gave a haircut and tried to cleanup the tufts of hair with its "edge" feature and it was unable to get to it without pulling out the hard to control wand.

One point that was a sour note right in the beginning was the complete omission of written instructions regarding its assembly!

As soon as I have a man come over to help me, this dyson will be packed up and returned and then I will get the Shark powered lift away.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dyson DC65 Being Returned

I couldn't survive without my Dyson! Perhaps you assembled it wrong? I'd give their cs a call before you go through the hassle of returning it. Their cs reps are phenomenal at problem solving over the phone! I have had all the other brands you mentioned and my Dyson beats them hand over fist in performance!

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I just wanted to chime in with this tidbit of information about Shark. We just recently bought a Dyson vacuum, but before doing so, were seriously considering a Shark vacuum as well. Both vacuums received high ratings, so it was hard to decide which to go with until I decided to check with both companies about how they handle repairs.

From what I was told, both will try to help you over the phone to try and fix problems you have that you can fix yourself, but if whatever's wrong is something that requires you to have them fix it--WATCH OUT! Dyson has many authorized service centers that you can take your vacuum to. If none are near you and you have to ship it to one, they pay the shipping costs. Shark, however, doesn't have any authorized centers. You have no choice but to send it to them in California at your expense. That piece of information made my decision for me to go with Dyson.

Shark makes some really good vacuums that a lot of people love, but you might want to double check with them about what I've told you about repairs before making your final decision. Hope you find a vacuum (whatever brand) that you're happy with. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2015 qualityshopper said:

I just wanted to chime in with this tidbit of information about Shark. We just recently bought a Dyson vacuum, but before doing so, were seriously considering a Shark vacuum as well. Both vacuums received high ratings, so it was hard to decide which to go with until I decided to check with both companies about how they handle repairs.

From what I was told, both will try to help you over the phone to try and fix problems you have that you can fix yourself, but if whatever's wrong is something that requires you to have them fix it--WATCH OUT! Dyson has many authorized service centers that you can take your vacuum to. If none are near you and you have to ship it to one, they pay the shipping costs. Shark, however, doesn't have any authorized centers. You have no choice but to send it to them in California at your expense. That piece of information made my decision for me to go with Dyson.

Shark makes some really good vacuums that a lot of people love, but you might want to double check with them about what I've told you about repairs before making your final decision. Hope you find a vacuum (whatever brand) that you're happy with. Good luck!

That's a very good point, and applicable to many kinds of purchases - find out how repairs are handled and the costs involved.

Honored Contributor

On 1/12/2015 4uthebest said:

After using Miele, Hoover, Shark, I decided to get the DC65 and I can't wait to return it so I can get the Shark powered lift away. I did not think I would ever return the dyson before I received it, but after using it I am really disappointed with its performance both on the carpet and its ability to pick up kitty litter on the floor.

Today I gave a haircut and tried to cleanup the tufts of hair with its "edge" feature and it was unable to get to it without pulling out the hard to control wand.

One point that was a sour note right in the beginning was the complete omission of written instructions regarding its assembly!

As soon as I have a man come over to help me, this dyson will be packed up and returned and then I will get the Shark powered lift away.

Did you prefer your Shark over the Miele or just decide to go with the Shark due to cost? I have a Miele that I've had for over ten years, and it's still going strong. I have a lot of pet hair around the house, too. I'm just curious which you prefer, because I know mine will go out at some time, and they are very expensive.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Have you owned a Shark before and if so, would you mind sharing with me which lift away you will be getting? I have been researching the Shark for a while now and am confused on which one to get. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

I hate the Dyson....bought the tank style and it was so big and clunky....stuff kept catching in the brushes causing it to stop working...I gave it to my son....

Dummy me bought the stick Dyson....(I guess here is where I fit into the doing the same thing over and expecting different results..lol) anyway...I wish I had sent it back...it doesn't pick up worth a darn, either...

Keep in mind I do not have any pets...its just everyday stuff that gets on the carpeting...I will never buy another Dyson.....

Honored Contributor

Sorry you didn't like it. I have that one and am mostly very pleased with it. I got it on clearance, which made me like it even more. The only things about it that I don't like are the weight (heavier than I'd like) and the fact that the cord for attachments pulls out of the handle. That makes it very stiff and I miss the flexibility of the attachment tube on my old vacuum. I've been pleased with the performance and the ease of emptying the container.

Super Contributor

On 1/13/2015 poppinfresh said:

Have you owned a Shark before and if so, would you mind sharing with me which lift away you will be getting? I have been researching the Shark for a while now and am confused on which one to get. Thanks!

Yes I have owned several sharks, the last being the rotator professional which was great until I dropped it onto a hard surface and smashed the canister/head connection and since I no longer had the box, I just got rid of it.

My Miele Calisto still works well, but with my furry kids it is too costly replacing the bags and filters and a non bag unit is my preference, so until I got the Dyson I was using a Hoover Air which I am still using.

Purchasing the shark on the infomercial gives you a five year+ full warranty with shipping covered both ways.

I am NOT at all impressed with the DC65 "manuvering" especially compared to the Shark and its awkwardness using its tools. Curiously the one tool that I would have wanted..multi angle brush is not included in this configuration.

As you may notice because of a lawsuit by Shark, Dyson is no longer saying they have the most powerful suction for of course the Shark Powered Lift-away does. Another great feature on the Shark model is a full LED headlight.

I called Dyson up and they walked me through the setup so that is not an issue but rather the other negatives I experienced are my reasons for returning the DC65.

Honored Contributor

I have a dyson canister and I absolutely love it. I would never send it back.It seems the OP has been through a lot of vacuums.