Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

Beans and grains prevent some zinc from getting absorbed. Vegetarians, for example, eat much of those kinds of foods so it would probably be beneficial for them to take a zinc supp.

Honored Contributor

I must had read it wrong then, i will take a look again.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

No you read it correctly. The NIH fact sheet mentions both bits of info. They said for vegetarians who don't eat meat, which is a good source of zinc, the grains and beans they do eat contain zinc but the zinc may not get fully absorbed so in that case a supp might be needed to get the necessary amount.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Do you take it? And did they give you extra when you had covid 19? I  am just not sure what one should take,after giving supplements  to my dog , i am really not sure much is healthful.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee  Do you take it? And did they give you extra when you hadcovidd 19? I  am just not sure what one should take,after giving supplements  to my dog , i am really not sure much is healthful.

@goldensrbest 

I did not get any vitamins while in the hospital with covid. I don't take zinc supps either. I do eat chicken, fish, eggs, yogurt, beans and whole grains so I'm good to go there. In my opinion most people do not need to take supps if they eat a well-balanced diet. Supps might be needed if you have malabsorption or some other medical condition which causes nutrient deficits.

Honored Contributor

Just take a normal multivitamin. Having any nutrient or mineral deficiencies is not a good idea for staying healthy. But no need to zero in on any "miracle" ingredient.

I keep Cold Eeze on hand to head off colds. It really works amazingly for that.

Now if I had been exposed to a Covid infected person and was waiting to get test results back, or quarantining in order to take a second round of tests, something like that...then I would probably panic and take everything I could think of and get my hands on. I would be going through my Cold Eeze supply and shoving fistfuls of them at DH, all the while knowing it would probably have little effect. Just being real about it.

Edited to add: When I go to early vote in person, even though I will be wearing my one and only N95 mask and treating the experience as if I'm visiting a superfund site, I will probably take Cold Eeze the day before and a good week after. Just to make myself feel better.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

I've been taking 50mg of zinc daily for years. It was recommended by my doctor, along with selenium, for my Hashimoto's. I think it does help keep me healthy.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

I am not planning on any additional.  Excess of anything can be hard on your body to excrete.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop 

I have been doing the same thing for quite awhile.  I take  5000 vit.D a day.  Now there will be a fun on zinc and cut D. Prices will go up.