Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

It's possible to take too much zinc.

The recommend daily dose from the Mayo Clinic is 8 milligrams.

If too much is taken, one can experience headache, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps and loss of appetite.

Take 8-10 Cold-EEZE cough lodges per day to help protect you from contracting COVID.

~Please do your part. Wear a mask, observe social distancing, wash hands. It is patriotic, and the right thing to do.~😷🇺🇸

There is no evidence that zinc protects against Covid.

If it did, Dr. Fauci, CDC, NIH, etc would be recommending that everyone take it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor
@lovesrecess wrote:
What zinc dosage should you take? I just bought 50mg capsules. I have seen recommended dosage amounts but they vary so much how do you know? Not calling the dr about it.

@lovesrecess 

Why not?   🤔

~Please do your part. Wear a mask, observe social distancing, wash hands. It is patriotic, and the right thing to do.~😷🇺🇸

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
What zinc dosage should you take? I just bought 50mg capsules. I have seen recommended dosage amounts but they vary so much how do you know? Not calling the dr about it.

All I know is what the Mayo Clinic said.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I am 65, and it is not my nature to just take these kind of supplements.   

What has kept me healthy thus far is take a flu shot, wash my hands, keep my hands away from my face, avoid crowds, eat well, and stay hydrated.   I do clean my toothbrush with peroxide and swish diluted peroxide daily.   

I take Vit. B12 and D3 because lab testing shows my numbers tend to run at, or slightly below normal.  I do not tax my liver and kidneys to break down unnecessary chemicals.   

I do the same as you and I also do not drink more than 1 drink a week, don't smoke and eat lots of fruits, yogurt and get 9 hours of sleep a night.  I try to walk 4x a week.  People that I know who get sick - they say 'yes' to too many obligations, eat poorly, drink, smoke and don't sleep properly.  

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

It's possible to take too much zinc.

The recommend daily dose from the Mayo Clinic is 8 milligrams.

If too much is taken, one can experience headache, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps and loss of appetite.

Take 8-10 Cold-EEZE cough lodges per day to help protect you from contracting COVID.

@EatWell @A healthy immune system requires humans to have zinc but there is no evidence that taking zinc supplements prevent COVID. 

Honored Contributor

There is a zinc fact sheet provided by the NIH. It tells you everything you want to know about zinc including who may be at risk for low zinc levels. If anyone is interested:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/pdf/factsheets/Zinc-Consumer.pdf

Honored Contributor

When COVID first appeared I saw a number of people (doctors) on tv recommending to take zinc--several said not more than 50 mg (I think mg?).

And I know one doctor who told a friend that he thought it was a good idea. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There is a zinc fact sheet provided by the NIH. It tells you everything you want to know about zinc including who may be at risk for low zinc levels. If anyone is interested:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/pdf/factsheets/Zinc-Consumer.pdf

That is good information,  from that i don't think i need to take extra zinc, i snack on nuts ,eat ceral,and like beans.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I take a Centrum Silver Multi Vitamin/Mineral supplement daily for adults over 50, and there are 11 mg of zinc in one tablet. I would think too much more than that may be too much. That is listed on the bottle as 100% of the daily required amount.  

Honored Contributor

I don't take zinc as a preventative and I see nothing in the NIH aritcle to indicate it works that way.  I might do some losenges if I get a cold and there's some here to take.  They leave a bad taste in my mouth, so I wouldn't want to use them often. I wouldn't be surprise to see a run on zinc supplements now.

I do often take Elderberry supplements in winter especially in the weeks before I go on vacation.  Lucky for me the panic buying of Elderberry didn't happen until after our trip this year.