Contributor

About 5 years I was diagnosed with trigger finger, had a cortisone shot to the hand. Finger at this time (the whole time) is puffy looking and sometimes tight, but overall hasn't been too bad. Since the shot, had no lock up of finger joint or clicking sound. I still work, so sometimes if I type a lot it will hurt but still manageable. The next step would be surgery. 

Contributor

I have had four surgeries...two middle fingers and two thumbs (Duquervains).  I tried shots, but they didn't help.  I bought splints that helped the pain, but the popping never went away. I am very careful with my hands now.  I don't carry anything heavy and I bought a device to open jars.  

Honored Contributor

Why would you go to a Chiropractor?  No tape can help.  There is an injection procedure but that usually must be repeated.   There is only one real cure. it's surgical but it takes about 20 minutes under local anesthesia.  The surgeon makes an incision over the tendon which allows the finger to bend properly.  And you have a normal finger again!  

Regular Contributor
My husband had surgery for trigger finger. All went well and finger works like a charm now.
Trusted Contributor

I had cortisone injections the two times for the same finger, about 5 years apart.  That was about 10 years ago and it's still fine, but now another finger is doing the "snapping" thing.

My brother needed surgery for his.

Lots of good ideas here; thank you!

Respected Contributor

I had trigger finger on my middle finger. I got injections for a couple of years. And excersizes made the pain worse.

I finally had trigger finger release surgery in 2017. Haven't had any problems since. 

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Anyone have experiance with this problem?  RIng finger on my right hand started locking up at the bottom knuckle about 2 months ago during the night. (I tend to curl my hands in my sleep).  I have been putting surgical tape around the knuckle at night and it keeps it from locking.  Chiro gave me some excercises to do.  Will this go away or what other treatments might help?

Do a search for "P5P and trigger finger" and you'll find a lot of good information.

Trigger finger can be caused by a B6 deficiency. I stumbled on this information while waiting to be scheduled for surgery to fix trigger thumb. I canceled the surgery in hopes that supplementing with P5P would help. It completely eliminated the problem. My thumb never locked once after the first capsule and it quickly straightened and I have full range of motion again.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Anyone have experiance with this problem?  RIng finger on my right hand started locking up at the bottom knuckle about 2 months ago during the night. (I tend to curl my hands in my sleep).  I have been putting surgical tape around the knuckle at night and it keeps it from locking.  Chiro gave me some excercises to do.  Will this go away or what other treatments might help?

@bargainsgirl   I had it in every finger and both thumbs, at different times during a period of two years.  Whenever I would wake up during the night, also peridically during the day, I would pull each finger slowly to the tip, over and over.  After two years, they were cured, and have never returned.

When I would give DD a bath, sometimes I would hit a finger on the shower door frame, talk about enunciating pain!

Respected Contributor

I had it in both thumbs in 2020.  I chose the injections (I had breast cancer surgery in 2019 and didn't want more surgery) and the ortho told me they work about 50% of the time.  I gave it almost 3 months and I still had significant pain and stuck thumbs, so I had surgery on both hands the same day at the end of 2020.  I was in the surgical suite about 20 minutes total from start to finish.  Had a nerve block in both arms--so be sure you wear slip on shoes and pull on pants--I'm sure it was hilarious watching me try to tie my shoes and button my jeans with numb hands.

When the nerve block wore off the next morning, I had no more pain.  Had I known--I would have just done the surgery because the shots hurt a lot worse.  I even did therapy.  You can barely see the incisions.