Respected Contributor

Anyone have experiance with this problem?  RIng finger on my right hand started locking up at the bottom knuckle about 2 months ago during the night. (I tend to curl my hands in my sleep).  I have been putting surgical tape around the knuckle at night and it keeps it from locking.  Chiro gave me some excercises to do.  Will this go away or what other treatments might help?

Trusted Contributor

Same, same and same!  I have it in my left thumb and am doing the same with taping at night.  After several months it's gotten a little better, but when I bend it without thinking, it's such a disturbing feeling!  Sorry I can't help, but I do understand.  

Honored Contributor

I too curl my fingers when I sleep and wake up to numbness in my hands.  

I wear prescription braces on both hands at night to prevent numbness and cramping/drawing in my hands.   

Super Contributor

Yes, I have it on middle finger.   Recently had DeQuervain surgery on other wrist and had a wonderful therapist who recommended Oval 8 Finger Splints.  They worked along with some simple finger movement therapy daily for 4 weeks.  I ordered first from big box store and then directly from Company so I had spares.

Trusted Contributor

I've had a bout with two fingers on my left hand beginning to curl in. I heard some advice from a caller on a radio medical show. He said that he'd had good luck holding off the curving by gently pulling and massaging the finger(s) as soon as it began.

I tried it and had good luck. Gentle pulls down and around the knuckle joints and massaging the base and length of the fingers. You want to stretch the joints a little but not pull them so hard that they're damaged. So far so good.

This is a medical condition and I have a GP that I mentioned this to. His advice was it couldn't hurt and other things could be tried if it worsened. I have family members who've needed surgery. So this is something to try but If the condition worsens then a doctor is needed.

Honored Contributor

I  make my own splints (shape pieces from yogurt or cottage cheese cartons or lids, using scissors) and affix them with paper tape.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I have it ring finger, right hand, too. When it happens, I just gently bend it back in place with the other hand.

Esteemed Contributor

I had this once. How it happened is a ??? I had to cancel playing for a wedding.

What helped me was heat, specifically from the sun. When I would push my granddughter's stroler around, the warmth of the sun on the stroler bar helped in the movement. After that, it wasn't too long before all was back to normal.

I'm wondering if red light therapy would help?

Respected Contributor

I had it in my thumb several years ago...even inquired here for advice. I ended up seeing an orthopedist and got a cortisone injection. I then wore a splint on it for two or three weeks? I can't remember exactly how long now. Seems like I wore it 24/7 and then only at night for awhile. Anyway, it resolved and I've not had a problem since. 

Trusted Contributor

My one year old granddaughter has trigger thumb on both hands. She was in physical therapy for it and wore a splint at night. Those things only worked temporarily, unfortunately. She will have to have surgery on both thumbs. 

I do want to add I know someone who had trigger thumb and she was low on potassium and electrolytes. She got an infusion of potassium and while she was getting the infusion her thumb straightened out. So you might want to check potassium levels and electrolytes.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt