Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

I"m so sorry @webbgarner1!

I hope to never get it but I admit I'm also afraid to get the shot!

@on the bay.  I got the shots two years ago and didn't have a single side effect.  I even had a flu shot the same day as the first one.

From what I've heard, any effects of the vaccine are nothing compared to the disease.

Please don't put it off!

@Kachina624   @on the bay

All my life I've had a tendency to faint when getting vaccinations.  Didn't know it was called vasovagal syndrome, but it's a thing.

The "solution" that worked for me is to have the shot in my hip.  Never had a reaction and never fainted when doing it that way.  

@on the bay

If you get an even mild case of shingles, you'll be kicking yourself for NOT getting the vax.  It's not something you want to take chances with.  JMO, of course.

Contributor

Everyone who has responded that the shots are far less troubling than getting shingles is absolutely correct.

When I got shingles 3 years ago, I would wake up in the middle of the night with searing, stabbing pains on one side of my abdomen.  I would hop out of bed, curl up into a tight fetal position on the floor, and roll around in circles in an effort to "bury" the pain until my meds kicked in.  It was the most excruciating pain I've ever felt.  And I had a "mild" case because I only got the rash and the nerve pain, not the horrible blisters that often follow.  I got the shots as soon as possible after my nightmare ended.

Please don't wait if you're on the fence about getting the shots!

Honored Contributor

So sorry. My feeling is that the Shingles vax is the most important one out there, you never want to get Shingles. 

Respected Contributor

I had shingles in the 80's when I was in my 30's. Worked for quite awhile before I went to the dr. didn't know what it was. It took 2 doses of the drug to finally get over but I've never gotten the shot and don't plan to. 

I feel the same way about the flu shot. My last shot was in the early 80's and I came down with the flu days later that lasted over a week. I haven't had the flu before or since then. 

I do get the covid booster and that's it besides a tetanus shot. 

The worst thing I ever got was a 3 week case of food poisoning that I thought would never end. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone. I had intended to get the  vaccine for a while but just never did go do it. I now havd a prescription for valtrex. Thanks for all of the suggestions. You all have been very kind.

Frequent Contributor

Whatever reaction you have to the shingles vaccine, shingles can, and in most cases will, be worse. I had shingles 6.5 years ago, before the Shingrix vaccine was available. I was miserable for weeks. I still have PHN (post herpetic neuralgia) as a result - a horrible burning sensation along the nerves that were affected by shingles. I had to wait 2 years following my bout with shingles to get the Shingrix vaccine, but I got it as soon as I could. The older shingles vaccine was not very effective, but Shingrix is over 90% effective.

I hope you feel better soon, webbgarner1!

Trusted Contributor

@Nutzy  Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

I was schedule to have my first shot Feb 5 of last year. Before I could do so I got Shingles one week before. Went to the Dr and was given my first shot the second day of shingles. Didn't know that was possible.

I was taking Gaberpendin months before for Cervical Spine Pain and that helped a lot so I was told to continue taking it. Had my second shot three months later.

@webbgarner1  have you been to the Dr? If so, were you given a prescription?

Oh my goodness. The talk of shingles is making me itch right now lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

I"m so sorry @webbgarner1!

I hope to never get it but I admit I'm also afraid to get the shot!

I heard nightmares about how sick people got after the shingles vaccine. I finally got them this year. I didn't have any reaction at all. Whew!

@CalminHeart  me either, never affected me. The only shot I can say that gave me a problem was the Tetanus. By the time I got home my arm hurt me for the next 2 weeks. I always make sure that I get whatever shot in my left arm since I'm right handed, just in case.

Valued Contributor

Got my shot. Arm was sore but no other side effects.