Super Contributor

severe depression - any hope

I havse posted before about my severe depression - four months now.  I can't seem to get any elief - I live alone and really can't handle it anymore.  there are no other living options.  It is is quite difficult tobe older, severly depressed and alone   Have you found a way out if you have been in a similar situation?  My neighbors are also quit unsympathetic so no help there.  Thanks in advance.   It makes me feel even worse to be in bed on these loely fall days.  I somehow have managed to get to my part time job - 8 hours a week.

Respected Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: severe depression - any hope

you need to go to your doctor...there are meds that can help you......

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

you need to go to your doctor...there are meds that can help you......

Yes, please contact either your medical Dr. for a referral or your  local Mental Health Office!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

First and foremost, you need to be working with someone who can do a complete assessment of your problems and then develop a solid plan to address those challenges.  A psychiatrist can prescribe medication if it is needed.  If your depression is chemical, then meds should work well even if you have to try a few different ones.  If your depression is situational (sadness, emptiness, loneliness, trauma, etc.), then you should be working with a therapist.  You have to also help yourself.  It's hard when you're depressed to be motivated to do anything, but you have to try.  Many people live alone and handle life just fine.  You need to move physically.  Maybe take a short walk every day.  You need to have contact with people, even if it's only through phone calls.  You have to find diversions so you're not thinking about yourself 24/7.  A hobby might help.  However, none of this will mean anything unless you are evaluated first.  

Honored Contributor

I don't know where you live, but there should be some form of community mental health services near you.   They are usually calibrated to income.   If you can't find anything, try calling your senior center and they might have some info.  I have been where you are and there is hope you will come out of this.  I did.

Valued Contributor

@gellen wrote:

I havse posted before about my severe depression - four months now.  I can't seem to get any elief - I live alone and really can't handle it anymore.  there are no other living options.  It is is quite difficult tobe older, severly depressed and alone   Have you found a way out if you have been in a similar situation?  My neighbors are also quit unsympathetic so no help there.  Thanks in advance.   It makes me feel even worse to be in bed on these loely fall days.  I somehow have managed to get to my part time job - 8 hours a week.

PLEASE CALL YOUR PRIMARY DOCTOR. SHE WILL HELP YOU, I PROMISE!Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @gellen 

Best wishes

Super Contributor

My depression stems from regrets over past decisions to stay single and not have a family.  I changed my tune a while fack but due to my age it is a little too late.  My drs. arre providing meds and counseling but no one has touched upon my regrests.  I don't see a future for me; but trying to stay positive.  my psychiatrist has recommended iV ketmine with gets mixed reviews.  What I really just need are people to be aruong the house with me!!

Regular Contributor

As someone mentioned, call a depression hotline. Maybe trying a new approach will help. The grass isn't greener on the otherside. Sounds easy to say, but we all just have to accept our path. It's the only way out of suffering.

Best to you.