Valued Contributor

Re: severe depression - any hope

I am also sorry to hear how you are suffering. First, get your Vitamin D levels checked. Research shows that older adults who were low vitamin D were often depressed. I know one psychiatrist who puts all his older adult patients on 5000 IU per day. It's over the counter at every store. Get your vitamin d blood level up to about 60-80 units of measurement. You can get real sunshine or take a supplement. It sounds like you need to be around people. Nothing wrong with that but living alone in your area is not helping you. Please consider making a change to your living situation. Whether you get a roommate or move into some kind of community living situation or become a roommate in someone else's house. As far as regrets, you might find help through cognitive behavioral therapy. Ask your psychiatrist for a referral. If you are getting your meds through a family doctor, try to find a psychiatrist who understands or works with older adult, if you are 60+. Volunteer somewhere, even feeding the dogs and cats at a shelter. 

Sometimes we idealize children giving us love and making us happy in our older age. Sometimes we simply want what we don't have. Many of us have adult children who have estranged and won't be rescuing us in our older age. There are Facebook groups for people who are older and alone. If not for your area, start one. If you have the nextdoor website for your area, initiate a post to get people together who are alone. Some neighbors did this and we had a big group going on before Covid. Now we are down to just the zoom book club. One person said they were looking for friends and the outpouring was HUGE for women alone. They got together and organized activities. I didn't appreciate it until Covid, did not put in much effort. Now I realized the error of my ways. We have to reach out and keep trying. We will strike out with some potential friends. But we can't give up. Being alone too much or relying on only our adult kids or grandchildren is not good for us either. Hugs to you. 

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@gellenYou need to make peace with your past decisions  & move forward. If you feel lonely maybe volunteer somewhere like a women's shelter,children's hospital, group home etc.

You have friends here.Though we aren't professionals, we do care.

@NicksmomESQ 

You're right.  I've known many women who really didn't want children badly enough to do what it takes to have them.   It might have been an option, but not really a burning urge.   Not everyone should have children.   

There are many things that could be done to make life more fulfilling, but it requires effort.   

Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:

My depression stems from regrets over past decisions to stay single and not have a family.  I changed my tune a while fack but due to my age it is a little too late.  My drs. arre providing meds and counseling but no one has touched upon my regrests.  I don't see a future for me; but trying to stay positive.  my psychiatrist has recommended iV ketmine with gets mixed reviews.  What I really just need are people to be around the house with me!!

@gellen     

I'm not clear on a few things ... your depression started 4 months ago ... what triggered it?    Also, are you retired or still able to work?  

You seem to have a chemical imbalance so just "having people around the house with you" may not help at all.  LOTS of people dealing with depression live with others and it doesn't help much, if at all. 

IMO, you need to work with your psychiatrist to achieve the right medication and dosage.  You also need to be honest with yourself about life choices you've made.  If you didn't want kids when you were younger, and stayed single, there were probably very good reasons for it. Don't be so quick to dismiss past decisions as wrong and blame your depression on "regrets".

It's very possible you have two separate issues to deal with here ..... first, a medical problem, the chemical imbalance.  And, secondly, blaming your "regrets" as to why you're depressed.  

If you really think you would like to have someone around the house with you ....  give serious thought to a four legged kid.  They love you unconditionally and are joyful creatures.   Plus, you don't have to send them to college!

Please be very clear on this .... if you want this situation to improve, you are going to have to commit to making the necessary effort.   Decide how much effort you are willing to make ....  or examine why you don't want to ....      

Trusted Contributor

I have suffered from anxiety and depression all my life. Finally at 28 yo with the help of a friend I confided in I got help. I still see the same psychiatrist I saw then. He saved my a life and gave me back my life. I take celexa and klonopin. I have taken prozac, paxil and many others over the years. Get help. Please.
Frequent Contributor

After a close friend passed that I talked to every day I felt lost. That friend was not replaceable. I take Andrew Lessman vitamins everyday. I see he sells THEANINE. It is all natural from a flower. It is not a chemical drug. It is a calming a sense of being settled.
Suzanne Somers sells supplements too. She sold THEANINE. She used it to collect herself and not feel so scattered before a speech. You have read her books haven't you. I also take ST. JOHNS WORT which I buy from the kroger store or the drug store. I buy the 2 bottles for one price. Those natural supplements were long popular in europe before they came here. I can tell if I don't tlake them every day. They got me over a bad hump in my life. Now if I don't take them every day I am ok. I go for walks etc... I work. But the person who passed was a nurse like me. She gave her husband THE ST. JOHNS WORT to help him with the depression that comes from stopping smoking. So no drugs. But got me to feeling settled enough everyday so I was ok. Thank you for bringing Theanine to us andrew lessman. It is a new product for him. I was getting it through GNC store but with covid they all closed close to me. Give it a try. The sense of calmness got me up and moving.
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@gellen 

No 2 legged kids in our house either, but we do have 5 furry kids. I got married when I was 63, first and only time. Told you part of my story in my other post.

While in the mental hospital I was diagnosed with: Clinical Depression and Anxiety/Panic Disorder.

Now, question! Do you have any pets? 

hckynut 

@gellen 

If you replied to this I missed it. For many pets can actually be better than people. They do not judge you and give you unconditional love. If you think people do not talk to their pets, I have news for you. Those owned by pets, speak up, eh?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)