Esteemed Contributor

Re: my thyroid hormone needs adjusting

I take generic for Syntroid--L-thyroxide. It was raised this year. I am on Medicare.

Respected Contributor

I have told my Dr. and she doesn't seem to help me.

Honored Contributor

Gosh @BeccaLou that is a shame. I go to an endocrinologist and she is really on the ball. As soon as my labs got back to her , her office called, and told me to cut one of my pills in half, once a week. I take 35 pills a week ,and it might not seem like a big deal but a little of this hormone ,goes a long way

I also have diabetes,thyroid problems and diabetes are interrelated.. I would find an endocrinologist and  see how you fare.

Respected Contributor

What Are 35 pills for? All of these are for your thyroid ?

Honored Contributor

Yes they are. I take five pills a day of Armour thyroid. They are each 15 mcg

Honored Contributor

I have been on synthetic levothyroxine or something for 39 years.  I honestly can't tell how this is affecting me one way or the other.  I fluctuate from 125 mcg to 175 mcg over time.  Don't know why the float, but I don't worry about it.  I guess I'm lucky, reading some of these stories.

Respected Contributor

I take 240mgs of Nature Thyroid presently....trying to combat fatigue energy issues and brain fog caused by hashimotos hypo thyroditis. This is the highest amount I have ever taken...was on 180mgs previously for a good while. I take 180mgs in morning...then another 60mgs early afternoon...combined equals 240mgs.

I feel much better....symptoms improved a lot.

Honored Contributor

I've been taking levothyroxine since 2001.  Once I got my dosage adjusted properly (didn't take long) I've never needed a change.  I take 100 mcg. every morning.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I don't know if all thyroid meds are the same strength ,even if the dose is the same/ I read they are not, but have never askd my Dr

Honored Contributor

@cherry-“Thyroid storms” (don’t know if that term is commonly used any more) occur from higher thyroid hormone presence in the body, so if your doasage is being lowered, you should have less likelihood of having one, not more likelihood.

Hope you feel better soon!