Honored Contributor

@halfpint1,  I've taken both the 3 mg. melatonin, and the 5 mg. melatonin, to try to help my insomnia.  It's called "Spring Valley",  fast dissolve.

For me, it has helped.  I prefer the lower, 3 mg. dose.  I feel a little more "zonked" on the 5 mg., but it is potent.

I need to take it early enough in the evening for it to be the most effective.  So, usually have it by about 9:00 p.m.  Milk that has been warmed up is a natural sedative, so I have the melatonin with about a half a cup of warm milk.  It's now like a relaxing little night time ritual.

I sound so boring, ha, but it has helped!

Hoping you and your doctor find the optimum solution for you, @halfpint1.

Honored Contributor

Melatonin...has a notorious reputation for behaving badly for some that use it....unfortunately you don't know until you try it.  It does work well for others, so proceed with caution.  Do the research, if you do use it, it is suggest to use under 3mg to avoid the possible side effects.  I'm aware not pro/con...just be smart.

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

How long do you sleep at night---I wake up about 3 times a night and then have to go to the bathroom. Is this usual?

Usually I'm up 2 or 3 times a night for the bathroom.  Generally I fall back to sleep almost immediately unless it is past 5:00AM.  Once I hit 5, I'm up for the day.

@halfpint1

Based on your past threads, your lack of sleep doesn't seem to be something you will be able to remedy with Melatonin.  Your doctor will have to help you with your sleep deprivation.

Trusted Contributor
Melatonin never helped me at all. I take Ambien now. It’s a script, not an OTC drug. Some people have bad reaction to Ambien, but I’m just fine with it. Only take it when I really need a sound night’s sleep.
Honored Contributor

I thought this was a thread on skin cancer...melononin......hmmmmm....

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

How long do you sleep at night---I wake up about 3 times a night and then have to go to the bathroom. Is this usual?

Yes!  Try to get sufficient liquids well before you go to sleep..too much vitamin C and salt can cause more frequent urination, as well as many other things you take that the body finds excessive and tries to eliminate.

Honored Contributor

Trying to offer advice to this poster reminds me of another poster that would come looking for advice and then find excuses as to why it wasn't going to work.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden. I though the same thing. It is Melatonin. My doctor recommended Spring Valley 3mg. It did nothing for me. For years I have had bad sleeping habits. I get about 3-4 hours  of sleep at night, on and off. Sleep for about 15-20 minutes and then up for a few hours.

It seems to be enough sleep for me but I wish I could get some more.

Super Contributor

Tried several brands and they all give me terrible nightmares.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to quit and try natural sleep again. Son said try half so I did but it didn't kick in for a couple of hours. Then I kept waking up every 2 hours or less.  My bed clothes felt damp so I had to change. Still tired this morning. I just saw my doctor  friday. Will have to wait for all my questions.