Frequent Contributor

has anyone had a hip replacement , and how was the recovery

Esteemed Contributor

2 of my friends just had a hip replaced....they were out and about in no time!  have heard that it's much easier recovery than a knee replacement....

Esteemed Contributor

@who  I had my left hip replaced in Setember of 2018.  It was done early on a Monday morning and I was home Tuesday afternoon.

I had a spinal as opposed to general anesthetic.  They got me up and walking right after lunch the day of surgery, The next day I had 2 PT sessions before I left.

Had some pain although not bad compared to my knee surgery 3 months ago.

Home health came for a few days and showed me exercises. I did no out patient PT.  I walked.  My 85 yr. old neighbor and a classmate from HS had  hips done within weeks of me.  Neither had to do out patient PT.  Like me they were instructed to walk.

I have absolutly no pain now. I would do a hip again if necessary, would never do another knee.

I'm glad I did it.

Honored Contributor

Re: hip replacement

[ Edited ]

Both hips...one in 2015 and  other in 2016.

Had the Anterior method done...2 inch scar only and in front.  Much less invasive to tissue...less cutting....Was walking same day....went home in less than 24 hours..... hardly any pain...just took Tylenol for a couple days.  feel great!

much faster and easier recovery than wth my double knee replacement!   

Honored Contributor

My coworker had it done a few months ago, stayed overnite in hospital 2 nites, had PT come to her house, driving after 4 weeks, doing great!!

Respected Contributor

My dad did both hips last year.  His recovery each time was very easy and he is not in good health or physically fit at all.  I was impressed with how fast he got back to normal and how happy he was to be feeling so much better.

Valued Contributor

First done in Dec. 2015, second done in May 2016. Mine were in terrible shape when I finally got them done due to a doctor misdiagnosing me and deciding I had back problems and not hip problems. Finally I went to a physiatrist who knew what he was doing. I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon....a very good one. The first one, the anesthesiologist intubated me. The second one, the anesthesiologist did not. The first one was better upon waking -- less pain and no nausea. The second one was not good in recovery because of whatever anesthesia he used. I was in a lot of pain and nauseated. But both recoveries were good and much better than how I felt when they were going bad. I'm so glad I had it done. It seems miraculous to me. I was on a mobility cart the last few months before surgery and now I'm biking, swimming, and cross-country skiing.

Trusted Contributor

@who  I had a hip replaced in 2011 and never regretted it, my healing time was fast.  I had inhome PT come for a couple weeks and after that I was feeling great. 

Honored Contributor

My husband had his first hip replacement at 65 and sailed through it, he did his rehab at home. Husband had the second hip done a year later and again, no problem quick recovery. My husband has always been very fit and I think that makes a difference in rehab and recovery. I think if you are not fat and in decent shape you should sail through everything.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband has had both hips replaced.  He did really well.  He's very fit and slim,I think that is a big factor.  He wondered why he waited so long in pain. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth