Trusted Contributor

great documentary about the benefits of a whole food plant based lifestyle

[ Edited ]

Last night I was on YouTube looking for info about a couple of the diagnostic tests that my functional medicine doctor wants me to do when I came across this gem:http://www.themarshallplanmovie.com/

When Texas Mayor Ed Smith III was diagnosed with prostate cancer, he elected to forego conventional treatment in favor of a whole food, plant-based diet. The results were nothing short of miraculous: his cancer disappeared. He and his wife embarked on a mission to help their town and community adopt a healthier lifestyle based on plant foods. Their story is being told in THE MARSHALL PLAN. The documentary focuses on the transformation of one town into a healthier place when its residents adopted new eating strategies. The stories of Marshall's residents are combined with interviews from expert doctors and researchers in the field of nutrition, and professional athletes.

Here's the link to the actual documentary: here

Honored Contributor

Re: Another great documentary about the benefits of a whole food plant based lifestyle

@sgraham30

I had no idea the mayor of Marshall had a part in the Plant Based world!

I know the annual VegFest is held out in Marshall.  Tons of luminaries 

we all heard/read about, in one spot. I thought it was odd it would be 

held out in this remote Texas town, but now it makes sense!

But there are so many success stories.  I believe there's another

cool story about a Chick-fil-A owner going vegan...I believe he's

been featured in films, as well. 

I just saw a commercial for butter substitute (iknowiknow...it's gross)

advertising it was vegan.  Just the fact that word is being marketed is 

a step in the right direction.  But there are people out there who can 

make water fattening, and that will be the headlines tomorrow. (Sigh)

But those who know, know....'ya know?! Ha Thanks for posting!

IMG_2304.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Another great documentary about the benefits of a whole food plant based lifestyle

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom, the idea of eating any animal product now disgusts me. I do take a natural dessicated thyroid (WP thyroid) that contains dessicated pork thyroid. I don't like taking it, but my own thyroid stopped producing thyroid hormones years go. I've tried going off the NDT twice (under medical supervision of course) Both times I crashed after 2 weeks.

I started out taking Levoxyl, which is just levothryoxine but my body has difficulty converting the T4 to the metabolically active T3.

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30

The Armour thyroid discussion always comes up in my PB forums.

And the consensus is always the same...lots of compassion & graditute

to the animal who gave you back your life.  I wish there was more 

plant-based research for thyroid issues. Thyroid is not a food 

related/caused illness, but I can't help but think there's a

minor connection. Maybe there will be more research in the future. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom, my issue might not even be with my thyroid. I see a functional medicine MD who will be testing me for candida, fungus, & other things that cause leaky gut, which is known to cause a myriad of health issues. I'm hoping that once whatever my issues are have been diagnosed, addressed, & resolved, I can reduce the dosage of what I take or completely eliminate it.  I do have the genetic SNP that predisposes me to Hashimoto's, which is autoimmune in origin but my thyroid issue isn't autoimmune, my antibodies when tested were always very low or non-existent.

Honored Contributor

Re: great documentary about the benefits of a whole food plant based lifestyle

@sgraham30

Have you tried black seed oil?

@LTT1 is a fan.

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono, no I have not. I'm holding off on adding anything new until my issues have been diagnosed & I know what's going on with me. The Low Histamine Chef (Yasmina Ykelenstam) is a fan of it herself but I believe she uses the nigella seeds.

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@lolakimono, no I have not. I'm holding off on adding anything new until my issues have been diagnosed & I know what's going on with me. The Low Histamine Chef (Yasmina Ykelenstam) is a fan of it herself but I believe she uses the nigella seeds.

Eating the seeds would be much more beneficial than

drinking a processed/refined oil.  And being diagnosed w/

Hashimotos, the heart disease connection is even greater,

which everyone knows heart disease & oil is not a good mix. 

Have you ever been to VegFest in Marshall?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom, until last night I'd never even heard of Marshall, TX.  VeggieFest will be held in Lisle, IL August 12th & 13th this year at Benedictine University. Their flyer bills them as one of the largest vegetarian food & lifestyle festivals in North America. As long as it's not a hot, humid, sunny day, i plan on going this year since it's maybe a 30 minute drive for me at the most (I don't tolerate heat well unless I'm near a body of cool, refreshing water I can jump in to cool off) If I can figure out how to stay comfortable on a hot, humid, sunny day I'll more than likely go.

I don't have Hashimoto's, I don't have the antibodies, I just have hypothyroidism. i have a strong family history of heart disease though, both parents died of a heart attack caused by coronary artery disease, my mom's brother was in his mid-40's when he died of a massive heart attack. His wife found him on the floor with the phone lying on the floor near him, he must have been trying to call for help before he succumbed. My mom's father had 3 strokes, the 3rd one finally killed him, my dad's mom died of a heart attack. 

I myself have cardiac issues but they're not related to my lifestyle I have numerous arrythmias that are weakening my heart, causing cardiomyopathy.

My poor kids really lost in the genetic lottery. There is a heavy history of heart disease & death at a young age on their father's side of the family. Their dad was 36 when he died of a heart attack, their dad's father was 51 when he died of a heart attack. 

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30@sidsmom
The Black Cumin Seed oil I use is cold-pressed.
Nothing has been added. It is pressed in India (gluten-free; non-gmo) The man who invented this particular process is Andreas. He actually purchases the seeds to be used.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~