Honored Contributor

Re: gout attack

[ Edited ]

Get some tart cherries and eat a bunch of them....tart cherry juice works too but not as fast.....my husband was skeptical at first, but he ate the cherries and within an hour his pain and swelling in his big toe was much better....he no longer takes the gout medicine and we keep the cherry capsules on hand when fresh cherries are not in season...he didn't like the tart cherry juice at all but is supposedly is good for gout as well. He has had a few flareups of gout and each time the cherries or cherry capsules really seem to help; best to take them or eat the cherries at the first sign of pain or swelling....
I hope you feel better really soon...

Honored Contributor

After this horrendous weekend - much improved today. Foot still swollen but just a little sore, no real pain at all. Thank goodness it is going away.

Honored Contributor

I have NOT read through everything so only after reading a few posts, would like to know if you are on colchicine.  If not, ask about it.  It should stop an attack in its tracks and I took both colchichine and allopurinol simultaneously for a period of time.  Hope you have relief soon.  Gout is an S-O-B.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am on a daily dose of allopurinal for my gout for many years. Then yesterday, out of the blue, I woke up with a swollen and very painful foot. Haven't had this for years! Dh had to get my walker out of the attic. I doubled up on my allopurinal this morning.

Do you take a thiazide diuretic for high blood pressure? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: gout attack

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

My sister has this and told me they recommend she drink cherry juice, but it was so sour she couldn't. I suggested she cut it with some 7 Up or ginger ale

You might give it a try

Sour cherry juice. One brand is much better tasting than others. Knudsen Tart Cherry Juice. You could mix it with water.

Edited to add. Be aware that some people are sensitive to Tart cherries and their juice and these people might have an upset stomach and intestines when they consume them. 

Avoid high purine foods. Someone posted a chart listing a few in this thread. Drink plenty of water. This illness is dependent upon  the balance of purine proteins to water in the body. If you become dehydrated, more uric acid crystals will form in your joints. These crystals cause the pain. They are actually sharp, kind of grainy remnants of uric acid. If you sweat too much, don’t drink enough liquids, urinate too much (as with diuretics for high blood pressure), eat larger quantities of purine foods which when metabolized lead to excess uric acid; you might have an attack. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

lolakimono - Thanks for the information.

Last year on our cruise to Alaska, my husband thought he bumped his foot on the bed. But it hurt so much, he couldn't figure it out. But he pushed through and we did not miss a thing.

So when we got back, he went to the Doctor. The Doctor said it was gout. And told him to take over the counter pills for pain. With the many seafood buffets on the cruise. We thought that is what triggered the gout.

Well, the same time of year, this year, he had the same pain. Not nearly as bad but still painful. He was wondering if it was seasonal. Since twice he had the pain and both times it was near Memorial Day. And I can say we did not have any lavish seafood buffets this year.

Sweating more, in the hot weather, can change the amount of water in the body, leading to a higher concentration of the uric acid crystals. When you noticed there is a time of year, this could be due more to the change in temperature leading to increased sweating which affects the amount of water in the body. There can also be the affect of seasonal foods. Your husband might be eating more high purine foods this time of year.

Respected Contributor

With diabetes it is usually a fruity smell in the breath, at least that's what I was told.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

With diabetes it is usually a fruity smell in the breath, at least that's what I was told.

A fruity breath with diabetes is a sign of DKA...diabetic ketoacidosis. It is life-threatening @BeccaLou.