Respected Contributor

@hovis wrote:

Just found out my brother in law has to go on dialysis. He will be getting this 3 times a week. I don't know much about dialysis. No one in the family has never had to have it. He is not taking the news real well. I don't think he realizes this is going to save his life. Prayes woul be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a very close friend whose husband has been on dialysis for EIGHT years. He is not eligible to receive a transplant due to complications from cancer. He and his wife went through extensive trading to do the dialysis at home and are closely monitored by physicians and nurses. The husband has dialysis five days a week. From beginning to end the whole process takes about three or four hours. They still have "normal" lives and find ways to work with the situation including short trips. He doesn't sit around feeling sorry for himself in spite of having numerous surgeries and treatments. It's hard but he has consciously made the decision to do what it takes and adapt. 

Another close friend of mine has a co-worker who had dialysis for about a year or so for Sickle Cell Disease. I don't know all of the details but he was able to work at least part-time and is back to full-time now.

Respected Contributor

@hovis, I failed to say that dialysis is not a death sentence. I've known several people who have had various unexpected conditions develop and dialysis was a successful treatment. Your brother-in-law could be concerned about the possibility of severe discomfort and a disruptive schedule. Understandably, it's a scary prospect. Please keep an optimistic approach in order to support him. Prayers from me to him.