Valued Contributor

Just found out my brother in law has to go on dialysis. He will be getting this 3 times a week. I don't know much about dialysis. No one in the family has never had to have it. He is not taking the news real well. I don't think he realizes this is going to save his life. Prayes woul be appreciated. Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear.....hope all goes well...prayers sent...

Respected Contributor

Not a great life being on dialysis. Wish him the best.

Honored Contributor

It is a terrible fear for Type 1 diabetics (myself included). I have known of good and poor outcomes but hopefully, your BIL will start to feel a bit better. I hope a kidney is found quickly, though, because dialysis is only a temporary measure.

Sending prayers for your BIL.

Respected Contributor

@hovis I will keep your brother in law in my prayers for healing and comfort as this is a long hard road.

Honored Contributor

@hovis 

I'm sure that he realizes that dialysis is a life saving measure, I totally understand that he maybe not taking the news well, because he's been informed of what the procedure is like and the side effects.

It's not easy. My kidneys failed and I was on dialysis for over 30 days, before my kidneys miraculously started working again.

The treatment itself was miserable, blood clots would form stopping the machine and forcing me to start all over, strapped to a cold gurney and unable to move, as a move could cause another clot.

Each treatment, 3 X a week would take at least 8 hours each. Please try to be patient and understanding with him, he'll need it.

Sending Love Light and prayers.jpeg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I agree with @KingstonsMom’s post.  

Dialysis may be the only option to save the kidneys, but based on what I know, it usually opens the door for new issues.   Long term dialysis is very hard on the body; blood clots are a major fear.  As a hospital employee, I called many Code Blues on dialysis patients; sadly, most did not survive.   

My husband and I have discussed dialysis many times in conjunction with our living wills.   Our personal opinion is that we do not want long term dialysis to prolong our life, as this treatment ends the ability to live life your way.   You live from treatment to treatment, waiting for that ambulance to transport you back and forth to the dialysis center and/or hospital.   

Frequent Contributor

Someone very close to my heart has been in dialysis one year next month, with his strength, courage, and positive attitude he is doing very well, and with a five year waiting list for a kidney at mayo clinic he says what is the alternative? And fyi the issue of blood clots is addressed at the session with medication. Prayers for your brother in law.

Honored Contributor

My good friend was on dialysis for years.  By the time she was diagnosed with stage 4 multiple myeloma cancer, her kidneys were barely functioning.  She was having chemo or radiation and dialysis.  She was such an inspiration.  She worked full time as long as she could.  She'd go on business trips and have dialysis while traveling.  Her husband was a match for a transplant, but the cancer disqualified her.  The cancer ended up winning.  The one thing she complained about was not being able to drink a glass of water.  She could only have a limited amount of liquids. 😥

Respected Contributor
Thoughts & prayers being sent. God bless.