Respected Contributor

Re: dentists or dental tech ?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@maestra wrote:

@151949 A thought:

Do you have access to any dental schools (universities, I know FL has them) to get a 2nd opinion? Access to get an introductory exam from another dentist for a nominal amount of $?

I'd trust oral health professionals more than the spring chicks on a shopping forum-just a thought.

As the title clearly stated - I was hoping we had a dentist or a hygenist here.

@151949  Nothing clear about the title and please keep smarmy remarks to yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The area is black, looks like a small pouch and tells me it is infected and full of pus and that's why it's black. There is no pain or anything else there- even when he is holding my chin and poking at the area on my face I didn't feel anything. Of course this is under a bridge so if I have to have work done on it I'll have to buy a new bridge so the estimated total cost here is $4000. I'm just not certain I'm buying it.So many dentists down here are rip off artists. This one is very young - I don't plan on paying off his school loans, if you know what I mean.

@151949  Remember your great insurance? According to you, it includes . . .   Dental Insurance! I've read the fine print and thought Dental Insurance wasn't worth the paper it's printed upon, but you have fought with others long and bitterly about your great insurance. So, why isn't it paying the $4,000?

Chances of the "very young" DDS being a "rip off artist" are small and unlikely. Most dentists have gone to school for too many years and worked too hard to do anything so crazy. They have too much money invested in their practice, they cannot afford to do anything illegal at any age. Dentists are upstanding members of communities; an employer; and he probably has a family to support. He is licensed to practice in the State.

[My sister has lived in FL for over 45 years and never had problems with dental work. Her husband is a native Floridian; he has never had qualms about dentists in FL. Their adult daughters have both spent their lives with FL dentists without incident. When visiting, their friends have straight, white teeth. Obviously everyone is going for their dental work when necessary.] 

Most professionals are savvy with their finances, their patients or clients, and their employees. He probably has a thriving dental practice!

Why would you SLADER such a successful, talented, young person in your own community? You are in a new community. Please be kind. 

If you want a second opinion, get one from another DDS. An old bridge and root canal certainly could be trouble spots; they don't last forever. Frankly, for such a routine procedure I'd believe the x-ray and proceed with the necessary work  ASAP. Sounds like that infection could cause other problems within your system if ignored.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

Then don't go to any of the "rip off artist Dentists" in Florida.

Suffer the consequences!

I don't believe that you can speak for the 20.98 million people who live in Florida.  You just speak for yourself.

Why did you ever move to Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All but a few states regulate dentists. They are accountable for what they do -- but Florida is one of a few who do not. Thus Florida attracts every one who is only in it for the money and has no moral objection to ripping people off. My source of this information - my Pittsburgh dentist explained this to me after I took a diagnosis from my Florida dentist to him - that would have cost mega bucks and NONE OF IT was real. He actually took extensive x rays and sent them plus my computer read out from this dentist and reported him to whomever it is that licenses dentists in Fl. It ended up in a trial and the "dentist" moved away. NO REGULATION  ends up making this a free for all and a definite buyer beware situation.

@151949  I don't believe this story for a nano-second.  Of course Florida regulates dentists-how else could they have a license to practice?

This story is hardly a source-it's hearsay on your part and not to be taken seriously.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

My brother (RIP) was a dentist in Florida and he was regulated as any other licensed medical professional was. Please do not defame hard working, educated professionals with erroneous and untrue statements.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Frequent Contributor

@151949- I know this is an old post but I wanted to comment. I’ve been in the dental field for 21 years now. That black ‘spot’ on an X-ray is most likely infection. I am not a dentist, nor have I assisted in years as I’m on the management side now but I can tell you- it would be in your best interest to at least get a second opinion, since you say you don’t trust your current dentist. There is definitely something going on in that area and even though it may not cause pain, it could (and a lot of times, it will) get worse. As I said, I’m not a dentist. But this is the advice I’d give a friend or a family member if asked.
Honored Contributor

@Nugbucker wrote:
@151949- I know this is an old post but I wanted to comment. I’ve been in the dental field for 21 years now. That black ‘spot’ on an X-ray is most likely infection. I am not a dentist, nor have I assisted in years as I’m on the management side now but I can tell you- it would be in your best interest to at least get a second opinion, since you say you don’t trust your current dentist. There is definitely something going on in that area and even though it may not cause pain, it could (and a lot of times, it will) get worse. As I said, I’m not a dentist. But this is the advice I’d give a friend or a family member if asked.

Thanks for answering. My dental insurance will get all the x rays etc and has to approve the procedure.