Honored Contributor

On a dental x ray if there is a pocket of fluid does it appear as black or white ?

Honored Contributor

Re: dentists or dental tech ?

I'm neither but I found this on a cosmetic dentist's website.  Is that what you are talking about?

4. CYSTS

Dental cysts are sacs of tissue that contain fluid or soft matter inside. They can pop up in your mouth and are often visible on dental x-rays as dark holes. While some are completely harmless and sterile, a cyst may become infected and wreak havoc in your mouth — which is why it is important we examine them and treat them if necessary. Sometimes they are caused by trauma, a genetic condition or they can even form at the end of a dead tooth.

Regular Contributor

From Medline:

X-ray

X-rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation, just like visible light.

An x-ray machine sends individual x-ray particles through the body. The images are recorded on a computer or film.

• Structures that are dense (such as bone) will block most of the x-ray particles, and will appear white.
  • Metal and contrast media (special dye used to highlight areas of the body) will also appear white.
  • Structures containing air will be black, and muscle, fat, and fluid will appear as shades of gray.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On a normal x ray like a chest xray - if there is fluid it appears like a cloudy white.For instance if someone has pneumonia their chest x ray looks like it has white cotton candy in the lungs.As an ICU nurse I can read an x ray pretty darn well. 

Today I went to the dentist - and I don't trust any dentist here in Florida - no one does. Anyway he does one of those x rays where you stand in the machine and it turns around your head. He shows me an area in my jaw about 1 1/2 " below the gum line of a toioth that already had a root canal many years ago. The area is black, looks like a small pouch and tells me it is infected and full of pus and that's why it's black. There is no pain or anything else there- even when he is holding my chin and poking at the area on my face I didn't feel anything. Of course this is under a bridge so if I have to have work done on it I'll have to buy a new bridge so the estimated total cost here is $4000. I'm just not certain I'm buying it.So many dentists down here are rip off artists. This one is very young - I don't plan on paying off his school loans, if you know what I mean.

Respected Contributor

@151949 A thought:

Do you have access to any dental schools (universities, I know FL has them) to get a 2nd opinion? Access to get an introductory exam from another dentist for a nominal amount of $?

I'd trust oral health professionals more than the spring chicks on a shopping forum-just a thought.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@151949 A thought:

Do you have access to any dental schools (universities, I know FL has them) to get a 2nd opinion? Access to get an introductory exam from another dentist for a nominal amount of $?

I'd trust oral health professionals more than the spring chicks on a shopping forum-just a thought.

As the title clearly stated - I was hoping we had a dentist or a hygenist here.

Respected Contributor

@151949

My one use of a dental college was totally destructive.  Never again

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Then don't go to any of the "rip off artist Dentists" in Florida.

Suffer the consequences!

I don't believe that you can speak for the 20.98 million people who live in Florida.  You just speak for yourself.

Why did you ever move to Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Then don't go to any of the "rip off artist Dentists" in Florida.

Suffer the consequences!

I don't believe that you can speak for the 20.98 million people who live in Florida.  You just speak for yourself.

Why did you ever move to Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All but a few states regulate dentists. They are accountable for what they do -- but Florida is one of a few who do not. Thus Florida attracts every one who is only in it for the money and has no moral objection to ripping people off. My source of this information - my Pittsburgh dentist explained this to me after I took a diagnosis from my Florida dentist to him - that would have cost mega bucks and NONE OF IT was real. He actually took extensive x rays and sent them plus my computer read out from this dentist and reported him to whomever it is that licenses dentists in Fl. It ended up in a trial and the "dentist" moved away. NO REGULATION  ends up making this a free for all and a definite buyer beware situation.

Esteemed Contributor

"The Florida Board of Dentistry was established to ensure that every dentist and dental hygienist practicing in this state meets minimum requirements for safe practice. The practice of these professions is a privilege granted by the State. The Board of Dentistry is responsible for licensure, monitoring and ensuring the safe practice of dentists and dental hygienists in their service to the people of Florida."

What type of "regulation" do you want that they do not have?

It's not just your dentist.......