Respected Contributor

Are there any breast cancer survivors who still indulge in a cocktail or glass of wine for social occaisions? ( I'm talking 1-3 drinks per week at most)

I have read some articles that say to abstain and others say continue to have a drink in strict moderation.

My medical team said on occaision is not a problem and one should be more concerned with eating a healthy diet and getting excercise (I do both) and of coarse to not smoke!  Obesity is a greater risk according to them.

Thoughts to share?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't drink anywhere near 1-3 drinks per week, but I do have a margarita when family or friends are out for Mexican food. I also enjoy a Maker's Mark and sour when out to dinner. Been doing this for almost 40 years with no problem. Often, it's a glass of water with lemon.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

I remember this topic being discussed awhile back.

Coincidentally, you posted the same question at that time.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/drinks-and-cancer/m-p/2559846/highlight/true#M70990

Alcohol is very unnecessary for everyone. 

There’s a doctor who says,

’We sterilize our instruments with alcohol. What makes it OK to drink?” 

I would think anyone who has not-optimum health would

strive to be the best they can be! (read: no alcohol)

Valued Contributor

My mom is a breast cancer survivor, and she enjoys drinking wine.  She also eats healthy and excercises.  Does not smoke.  She is doing very well in her 70's.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

It is enjoyable to have a drink or 2 and no adverse effects.  i would guess safer than some mountain climbing, or crossing some streets, for example.

imo it is ok to do enjoyable things.  and i am not opining on the cancer q, i know nothing about that.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Are there any breast cancer survivors who still indulge in a cocktail or glass of wine for social occaisions? ( I'm talking 1-3 drinks per week at most)

I have read some articles that say to abstain and others say continue to have a drink in strict moderation.

My medical team said on occaision is not a problem and one should be more concerned with eating a healthy diet and getting excercise (I do both) and of coarse to not smoke!  Obesity is a greater risk according to them.

Thoughts to share?

I think you should listen to the advice of your medical team.  Not everything in articles is accurate, and even when it is, the advice doesn't apply to everyone.

Personally, I would feel far more secure following the advice of my medical team.

Honored Contributor

one of my best friends is a breast cancer survivor.

i know that she and her husband drink a bottle of red wine every evening with their dinner.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@bargainsgirl 

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/drinks-and-cancer/m-p/2559846/highlight/true#M70990

I disagree that alcohol is unnecessary for everyone.  It actually can have beneficial effects.

I'm also not sure what kind of doctor would say that about instruments.  For one thing, there are different types of alcohol.  The comment makes no sense.  

Respected Contributor

THank you and I agree.  I am not looking for opinions on whether or not ANYONE should drink adult beverages or not.  I enjoy an occaisional wine or Manhatten!  Just looking for what other cancer patients do.

Honored Contributor

Re: conflicting messages

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@bargainsgirl 

I disagree that alcohol is unnecessary for everyone.  It actually can have beneficial effects.

I'm also not sure what kind of doctor would say that about instruments.  For one thing, there are different types of alcohol.  The comment makes no sense.  

I personally think drinking a liquid, which has the actual alcohol or

vapors to ignite when flame is near, makes no sense. That would be

inflammation 101.  Pair that with a condition which hates inflammation,

like cancer, and it really doesn’t make sense.  Why would anyone

continue to ‘walk right up to the edge of a cliff’ by consuming 

something which is detrimental to one’s health, in the first place,

let alone if their body’s been fighting cancer cells.

I have a healthy respect for cancer & the evil it can produce. 

It’s disheartening to see smart people throw all common sense

out the window for a quick thrill which has long term, deadly effects.

If one is ill, throwing back this toxin (even occasionally) is not going to

help the situation.  Everyone knows this.