Honored Contributor

Love avocados! Usually eat organic. Can do so many things with them.  

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 @I just read that California uses recycled waste water for crops.I have to wonder if that is what can be causing some of the problems.What if there is a problem at the treatment centers or what if some employees aren’t trained properly.I don’t like this idea as I don’t like the sewage solids being made into soil either.That stuff called Taigro smells bad and I would never use it,

Honored Contributor

Re: avocado recall

[ Edited ]

OT - Most of the avocados sold in the US are grown in Mexico. Many, if not most, of the avocado farms there are controlled by the cartel. In other words, when you buy avocados from Mexico then you are essentially padding the cartel wallets. It's called "green gold" down there.

Here's a segment from an episode from Adam Ruins Everything TV show:

"HOW DRUG CARTELS TOOK OVER THE AVOCADO TRADE"

https://www.trutv.com/shows/adam-ruins-everything/videos/how-drug-cartels-took-over-the-avocado-trad...

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Cakers3 @I just read that California uses recycled waste water for crops.I have to wonder if that is what can be causing some of the problems.What if there is a problem at the treatment centers or what if some employees aren’t trained properly.I don’t like this idea as I don’t like the sewage solids being made into soil either.That stuff called Taigro smells bad and I would never use it,

@dex   The info I researched a while back of course indicated that this water is safe.  But "safe" is a relative term.  We know that waste from adjacent animal farms can contaminate produce farms.

There are some documentaries out there investigating the use of recycled water-some pro, some con.

Unfortunately, we have to eat.  I personally do not trust 100% the persons involved in managing our water supplies.  It is dwindling so rapidly that I'm positive corners get cut  right from the top.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

OT - Most of the avocados sold in the US are grown in Mexico. Many, if not most, of the avocado farms there are controlled by the cartel. In other words, when you buy avocados from Mexico then you are essentially padding the cartel wallets. It's called "green gold" down there.

Here's a segment from an episode from Adam Ruins Everything TV show:

"HOW DRUG CARTELS TOOK OVER THE AVOCADO TRADE"

https://www.trutv.com/shows/adam-ruins-everything/videos/how-drug-cartels-took-over-the-avocado-trad...

WOW just WOW I didn't know this!  I purchased my last avocado's from Costco...in a small bag...5 or 6 in there...the stickers say Mexico on them!  You learn something new everyday!!  

Honored Contributor

I think we should push for more food from Canada.I think they have heavy regulations.

Respected Contributor

I also wash them before using them.

Honored Contributor

This is an OpEd Q&A, but it makes sense everything has to go through

US Customs. It’s the last gate to go through so if I ever hear of anyone

getting sick from Mexican produce, the onus lies on the US.

C8016524-B540-4B7E-BF44-325F9BC3DC7A.jpeg