Honored Contributor

Two days ago:

https://www.fatherly.com/news/avocado-recall-six-states-possible-listeria-contamination/

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

The avocados in our area are from Mexico.  I formerly would not buy anything from Mexico, but since the USA romaine scare, and now the USA avocado scare, that rule is out the window.  As of now I buy no romaine, the last batch that was supposedly cleared made me sick.  So far no issues from any avocados, one of my favorite foods.

Honored Contributor

@depglass @I feel the same as you do.I wish we could get more vegetables from Canada...they have strict growing guides.

Honored Contributor

Re: avocado recall

[ Edited ]

We were getting beautiful green and red peppers from Canada a few years ago, then they disappeared.  At the time I had a list of contaniments in peppers and Canada's were virtually zero

Honored Contributor

SMH-these recalls generally happen with food grown in the USA, not Mexico.

Why are people so hesitant to buy from Mexico?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

SMH-these recalls generally happen with food grown in the USA, not Mexico.

Why are people so hesitant to buy from Mexico?

Probably there is hesitancy because the history of Mexico’s water and produce not being as clean.  How many people have anecdotes about they or a friend getting “la turista” after a visit to Mexico?

Although food and water safety standards have improved in Mexico, through the years, there still have been several recalls of Mexican produce and other food products. 

I think it was just this past year or two, there were recalls including Mexican grown cucumbers, papayas, cilantro, lettuce.  

Awhile back there were, among others, Mexican strawberry, melon, candy and soft cheese recalls.  (The cheese recall was big here in SoCal, and affected a lot of restaurants as well as retail stores)

The odds that there will be more recalls from US products just based on the greater percentage of products available.  

It does seem that several of the recalls have been linked to packing plants.  Produce is being stored too close to where animal waste has contaminated soil and water.  

One farmer told me that with the increased demand for organic products and the increase of using manure for fertilizer,  that not all growers are following proper safety procedures.  

All the recalls should be reminders to carefully wash/scrub  produce, even the outside of things like avocados and melons before cutting.

I also rewash my knife after each slice through the skin/shell.  (I am “immune-compromised” so I have to be extra careful, even avoiding some items I love when my neutrophil count is extra low.)  

Wishing all safe eating and good health.  

Honored Contributor

@trenet  The postings here are always about food recalls in the USA.

I don't recall recent Mexico recalls.

My point is that Mexico has nothing to do with this recall yet somebody comes along and starts in about not buying produce from Mexico.

I know produce from Mexico isn't always perfect.

My point is that this country is just as much at fault for growing contaminated food.

Apparently our water and soil isn't much better than that of Mexico.

I do not hesitate to buy produce from Mexico. Some people have an unkind bias against Mexico and not because of the food.

*shrug*  If the strawberries look good, are on sale, preferably organic, I will buy them from Mexico.  If people are mistrustful, then buy only USA. 

You still will be rolling the dice.

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 

I  understand your point,  yes, this particular recall had nothing to do with Mexico.  I do think some of the history, stories and fears resulting from those, contribute to people being wary of Mexican produce. Others simply want to but American. 

Favouring some grown in US, especially local for me, is more to support local growers and, sometimes shorten travel distance.  

Sometimes, too, I just prefer a different variety. You mentioned strawberries, (which I rarely get because of my immune issues 😪)

I prefer the ones grown in Central California (Watsonville and north) so, I rarely get the Mexican or Southern California (Carlsbad) ones.  

And, what I really would prefer are the varieties I grew up with in the Willamette Valley!  

The cucumbers recall from Mexico (Baja) were at the end of 2018.

And the papayas and cilantro the year before. Guessing I might see

more stories, especially when it involves Baja, being in San Diego. 

I do think things must have improved with Mexico because

I see far fewer recalls than I did 10 or more years ago.   

Do people report their gastrointestinal disorders more than they used to?  I know more strains of some of bacteria are identifiable now; perhaps we would have had more recalls in the past, had the various bacteria been identified as such.  I don’t know. 

Is there more soil and water contamination? And, if so, why?

Even growing your own with soil and water testing and proper handling could be a problem. (Be careful with your compost)

One article I read did link the increase to “natural” fertilizers and their mishandling.  If I find the article (I think it was on the website of one of the big agricultural schools) I will post link.  

Some people think they are safe eating only organic, yet there also have been recalls of organic produce.  

Certainly adds to the frustration of determining what might be safer to eat! 

Honored Contributor

@trenetHi trenet-since I am in Texas we do see much produce from Mexico but it doesn't bother me.

Right now Whole Foods has a huge sale on avocados-stacked high on displays.

I think you made a good point as to when people get the "trots" (my word) and may not equate with a particualr food, especially since we do not tend to eat just one thing all day. I'm in agreement that some things never get reported.

Organics certainly can be contaminated with ecoli, eg.  For me TRYING to do as much organic as I can has to do with chemicals.

Also some produce is indigenous, if you will, to certain countries.  Avocados are always advertised as being from Mexico, along with some particular fruits, even though grown in the USA, too.

I guess we just have to trust that the bad food will be caught in time and removed from shelves.  I honestly still have a problem looking at romaine lettuce today.

Respected Contributor
Mine are from Mexico...costco brand. I use soap and water then cut them up. My state wasn't in the recall listed. But still always wash them good first.