Honored Contributor

i like Allegra too and get the generic at Walmart.  Works better than any other brand I've tried.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have tried several and zyrtec works for me. Good luck!! 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@who

My only allergy is to Iron. Right now as I type this, I am at the hospital getting, guess what? An Iron Infusion! Similar to blood transfusions, but a bit more risk involved. Will be here at least 4-6 hours. 

Thought this would be a good thread to throw in the early part of my Monday. Hope you find the OTC med that works good for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@who wrote:

what is a good over the counter pill for allergies

I'm going to recommend calling your doctor or asking a pharmacist because you did not specify whether you're looking for a decongestant or an antihistimine. That makes me think you need more information about both allergies and the medications used to treat them. I don't know whether you need a decongestent or an antihistimine or whether you should be using a decongestent at all. (If you have high blood pressure, you should probably not use a decongestent.)

I've had allergies since I was 3 and the best medication I've found to treat them has been Flonase. I use a generic prescription version. It takes a few weeks to build up. I also use a generic version of Zyrtec when I get itchy.

Honored Contributor

@who

My only allergy is to Iron. Right now as I type this, I am at the hospital getting, guess what? An Iron Infusion! Similar to blood transfusions, but a bit more risk involved. Will be here at least 4-6 hours. 

Thought this would be a good thread to throw in the early part of my Monday. Hope you find the OTC med that works good for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Please listen to @Alison Wonderland. That was great advice.

Even better and if you want to save yourself a phone call, go see the pharmacist at your local drug store and tell him or her what your exact symptoms are.  They can and will tell you on the spot exactly what OTC medication would be appropriate for your symptoms, physical state, medical conditions if any, etc.

The gold standard if we are talking about a histamine reaction is benadryl but it really depends on what the allergy is and what part of your body it is throwing off.  

And the other posters here are correct about Allegra, Claritin, Zyrtec, etc needing time to build up in your system to be effective.  Immediate relief is probably not going to happen with any of those options.  It's not what they are meant for.

When you go to the store, go to one with a pharmacist and they'll tell you exactly what you can try and combine if necessary to get yourself together again.

@hckynut  The hospital needs to put you on payroll for your generous support of their services.  Get out of there already!  Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy    

Super Contributor

Flonase and zyrtec , i dont suffer st all anymore .  Although , i get a itch if i dont take my zyrtec.

Respected Contributor

HA! I was just coming to ask about allergies, & this thread was already posted! I haven't read all the problems here, but here's my problem.....

I have never had allergies like I have this yr. Last month I was miserable. Eyes itchy, red, & swollen. Finally got that cleared up, but lately, I've noticed all around my eyes are very red/purplish. Looks like I've been up for days, huge red/dark circles. I'm 65, is this something that goes with older age?? I noticed my mom had these in her later yrs. Some days are worse. Is it allergies, or something else?? 

Occasional Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@who wrote:

what is a good over the counter pill for allergies

I'm going to recommend calling your doctor or asking a pharmacist

because you did not specify whether you're looking for a decongestant or an antihistimine. That makes me think you need more information about both allergies and the medications used to treat them. I don't know whether you need a decongestent or an antihistimine or whether you should be using a decongestent at all. (If you have high blood pressure, you should probably not use a decongestent.)

I've had allergies since I was 3 and the best medication I've found to treat them has been Flonase. I use a generic prescription version. It takes a few weeks to build up. I also use a generic version of Zyrtec when I get itchy.

@Alison Wonderland

^

best advice!