Regular Contributor

Brush or floss???   I usually brush first then floss. Having a dispute with my son who says to floss and then brush.  Just wondering what other people do.

Honored Contributor

Re: Which do you do first???

@retiredatlast wrote:

Brush or floss???   I usually brush first then floss. Having a dispute with my son who says to floss and then brush.  Just wondering what other people do.

@retiredatlast 

Tell your son, "not everyone has real teeth"!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@retiredatlast wrote:

I floss and then brush. I have always done my teeth cleaning in this order. Floss to get between teeth, then brush to clean. The dental hygienist scrapes and removes build-up on teeth, then flosses, and finally polishes the teeth which is the equivalent of brushing. I agree with your son.

Honored Contributor

@retiredatlast I've never heard of flossing first!

It just seems to make sense to brush first and get as much clean as possible, then you can even rinse well, then floss!

If we flossed first, it would be doing a harder, longer job getting more of things that should be left to brushing first! Of course you are right!😁

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Alway floss first. Floss, brush including tongue, listerine rinse. Done. If you floss after you brush and you get crud out that stuck between your teeth, you have to brush all over again... right? 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

@retiredatlast wrote:

I floss and then brush. I have always done my teeth cleaning in this order. Floss to get between teeth, then brush to clean. The dental hygienist scrapes and removes build-up on teeth, then flosses, and finally polishes the teeth which is the equivalent of brushing. I agree with your son.

@On It My hygienist does the opposite, you would think it would be the same. 

Respected Contributor

My hygienist says to brush first, then floss, last thing at night and don't rinse the toothpaste out of your mouth to allow it to work.  Not rinsing is taking some time to get used to. In the morning, I brush, floss, then use the water pic. Funny how so many hygienists recommend so many different ways, the important thing is that you do both.

Honored Contributor

I brush first.  At the dental cleaning appt.'s they floss after they've been cleaned too.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carolina925 wrote:

My hygienist says to brush first, then floss, last thing at night and don't rinse the toothpaste out of your mouth to allow it to work.  Not rinsing is taking some time to get used to. In the morning, I brush, floss, then use the water pic. Funny how so many hygienists recommend so many different ways, the important thing is that you do both.

@Carolina925  Am I understanding she said to not rinse it out at all.  If so, you'd be ingesting that toothpaste every day and that may not be good for your general health.

Respected Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Carolina925 wrote:

@Carolina925  Am I understanding she said to not rinse it out at all.  If so, you'd be ingesting that toothpaste every day and that may not be good for your general health.

Yes, that's what she said, spit only and not rinse. Guess after spitting there's not much to worry about...or since I'm old she didn't think it would matter Smiley Happy