Respected Contributor

Dietary Question For Those Who Have Osteoarthritis

I have pretty bad arthritis in my sacroiliac joint.  I was reading an article about how your diet can effect the inflammation.  One of the things they suggest to avoid is casien protein in dairy products.  I eat quite a bit of dairy for the calcium. 

Has anyone found that by changing what you eat really made a difference with your arthritis?  I already eat a lot of veggies, fruit and grains.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dietary Question For Those Who Have Osteoarthritis

[ Edited ]

@Winkk 

First of all, everyone is different.  I have a family history of arthritis, and have it in my knees, hands and wrists.  Personally, I have found that weather and emotional stress are the only two things that affect my arthritis.  Food doesn't seem to make a difference for me.  (Other than the obvious - that if you are overweight, there's more stress on your joints.  But I don't think that's what you're asking.)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I have arthritis which is part of my scleroderma disease. Scleroderma is a disease of inflammation.  I had to change my diet when I got the diagnosis. I no longer eat a lot of the food I used to eat which included food which causes inflammation, for instance, cheese, beef, wheat products and most processed foods. I lost some extra weight, my blood test numbers look perfect and I do not need any Rx drugs. 

Honored Contributor

@Winkk,

That's such a good question!

And everyone is different and I have read that dairy can cause more inflammation. I don't eat dairy and eat a lot of vegetables etc (I'm a vegetarian), and I don't think my diet has made any difference.

I've read about other things that may cause less or more inflammation or for or against arthritis and other back/hip/sacroiliac problems and have never noticed any improvement or worsening from anything I eat.

For me it is what I do physically that exacerbates it. Or not doing physically that can help.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

What I have found years ago that when eating more fish, arthritis doesn’t bother me as much. I eat sardines, tuna, herring and salmon regularly.

I’m pretty good about eating a balanced diet.
Respected Contributor

I have an upcoming appointment with my doctor and I'll check with him.  But, there is so much conflicting info on the web.  I only read the ones that are reputable.  It seems as though there is very inconclusive data.  Up to now I have been eating dairy without any problem so I'll just keep doing that.  

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:
What I have found years ago that when eating more fish, arthritis doesn’t bother me as much. I eat sardines, tuna, herring and salmon regularly.

I’m pretty good about eating a balanced diet.

I eat a lot of fish too @ALRATIBA. I rather have fish than meat.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winkk  - this is such a great question!!  Absolutely I think it makes a difference for myself and others I know who have changed their diet.  It is certainly worth a try, and it can be helpful to keep a journal (what you eat/how you feel) sort of thing.

As for calcium, I am able to get upwards of 1400 mg of calcium from non-dairy sources: greens (such as kale, collards, etc.), chia seeds, almonds, tahini, and edamame.

And I once heard something very interesting in relation to food and its impact.  The analogy was made to aspirin... and how if someone were to take 1 mg of aspirin, they'd say 'it makes no difference' --- but if they take the right amount, it can make all the difference.  Food is the same way.  

Also, taking out dairy but still eating inflammatory foods (such as fried foods, etc) may not show much difference.

It can be exciting to try eating differently.  Hoping you enjoy it and start feeling better soon!

P.S. - I saw you mention asking your doctor.  Don't be too surprised if they are quick to dismiss diet/nutrition.  Physicians get very little training in nutrition.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

I have pretty bad arthritis in my sacroiliac joint.  I was reading an article about how your diet can effect the inflammation.  One of the things they suggest to avoid is casien protein in dairy products.  I eat quite a bit of dairy for the calcium.            ---------------------------------------------------------------   

Has anyone found that by changing what you eat really made a difference with your arthritis?  I already eat a lot of veggies, fruit and grains.  

@Winkk 

I have osteoarthritis in many parts of my body. The biggest area is my spine from my 2 Back Surgeries to remove:L-3/L-5/S-1 Spinal Discs.

The 2nd biggest is my Cervical Area. I have 3 crushed Cervical Discs, no surgery. A rare Chiropractic Adjustment eases the pain.

On both hands my first 3 fingers have severe osteoarthritis. This was a direct cause from lifting 60-80lbs reels of telephone type wire for over 30 years.

The holes in the center of the reels were only big enough for 3 fingers of my size. A regular day was at least 200. When running big gauge wire, it could be 500 reels a shift.

Changing what and/or how/when I eat makes absolutely no difference. I eat  healthy/low fat/high complex carbs for my sustenance. This allows me to work out at the high levels to which I am accustomed, and also maintain any weight I choose.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I have found that if I eat too much sugar,  I can definitely feel it in my joints.