Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do in this situation

@I am still oxox wrote:

@hckynut

No these are not at all routine tests, I have had all of those several times and I was all set to go and I got a call from my doc that she decided I needed additional testing.

I was not told what I thought oh more blood work, I was not told about the bone marrow or the CT scan.

I am annoyed that I was not informed of what they think I need to have done

@hckynut wrote:

@I am still oxox

I don't know much about this particular infusion, but I have had 30-35 Iron Infusions since 2008. Many tests were run, including multiple blood draws by my Hemotologist, before my very first Infusion, and even between each different Infusion. There are several different types of Iron used for these Infusions, and the right one can be very, very critical.

Have had so many tests(blood/CT(Contrasting and non-contrasting/MRI, just to name a few I have had done. I trust all my doctors or they would not be my doctors. Don't know about the Gamma Globulin Infusions, but I know that Iron Infusions can cause some very serious reactions including Anaphylactic Shock a potentially life threatening reaction to Iron. This I went through during 1 of my Iron Infusions, this was a very serious situation, and had I not been at the hospital when this happened?

If any of my doctors tell me I need an XYZ Test before any Procedure, I have it done. If I listed all of my Pre Procedure Tests, it would be a very, very long list. Were I in your situation? My health and well being are much more important to me than my time, regardless of what my doctors say they feel is a necessity.

Everyone can make their own decision.

hckynut

@I am still oxox

Your thread title asked "what would you do".  Sorry, I must have said too much. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

So I am getting the feeling from most answers that I should not question what my doctor says I should do.

In the long run it is my health and my body and I have to right to know why and question the reason a test is being done

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

When my doctor tells me he wants more tests, I ask what tests and why. If I have questions, we discuss. His office staff make the appts and call me to let me know where and when. By discussing with the doc when the subject of tests first comes up, I am never surprised by the tests I'm having and I know the reason I need them. 

So, yes, @I am still oxox, IMO you should question your doctor about any issues you have questions about, not just tests, but it's better to do so before the procedures rather than after.

Honored Contributor

What would I do?

I'd insist on getting my question and concerns answered and addressed before agreeing to tests I am not sure about.

We all need to be our own advocates.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

So I am getting the feeling from most answers that I should not question what my doctor says I should do.

In the long run it is my health and my body and I have to right to know why and question the reason a test is being done

@I am still oxox  I question everything over and over, if necessary.  Earlier this year, a new doctor threatened me saying that if I didn't take a certain test, my monthly prescription would not be filled.  

I refused to have the test he asked for, but during research, I found one that would reveal the same results without any stress or pain to me, so he agreed to that, all was fine, as I knew it would be, but I was furious that my well being was threatened, and told him so via email, so many months of emails back and forth before he agreed to the test I agreed to.

I can also view all my tests in my record online, and if I have any questions, I can email the doctor, which goes to his nurse, then to he/she, then she gets back to me.

I have never had such an experiences with any doctors, though I have had experiences, left a few due to their errors and I no longer trusted them.

So, you have a right to be upset, and I personally would get all of my questions answered before agreeing to so many more tests.  You can't make a decision until you have the facts, which you should have been given, but this is the medical world today, one has to be in control and research everything so as to be as informed as possible about whatever issue they are dealing with.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox  You should question your doctors, you have a right to know everything about whatever issue you are dealing with.  I always research what I am told by a doctor.

Honored Contributor

Help with what?  You are seeing a team of physicians and they are trying to diagnose you properly so that they can move forward with the appropriate treatment.  They can't do that with their magic crystal balls.  They have to do tests and that means imaging and blood work.  That's just the reality of it.  You can decline anything they want to order, that is right as a patient.  If you don't want blood work and you don't want any imaging procedures; you are free to decline.  What exactly are you "livid" about?  Most people want good medical care, apparently you do not.  You say "what happened" and I can't figure out what means.  What happened is that the medical team caring for you wants additional testing.  That's what seems to have happened.  Be compliant or don't be compliant.  The choice is yours.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not understand how any grown women can be bullied by doctors who are looking out for her.

A couple of years a pause was made on a second cancer surgery since the anesthesiologist called a halt while my cardiologist and endocrinologist ran a bunch of tests.  It was hard for me to wait, but it all turned well.  Pulled out many more lymph nodes that I even knew I owned, but it was all good.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Help with what?  You are seeing a team of physicians and they are trying to diagnose you properly so that they can move forward with the appropriate treatment.  They can't do that with their magic crystal balls.  They have to do tests and that means imaging and blood work.  That's just the reality of it.  You can decline anything they want to order, that is right as a patient.  If you don't want blood work and you don't want any imaging procedures; you are free to decline.  What exactly are you "livid" about?  Most people want good medical care, apparently you do not.  You say "what happened" and I can't figure out what means.  What happened is that the medical team caring for you wants additional testing.  That's what seems to have happened.  Be compliant or don't be compliant.  The choice is yours.

@chrystaltree Out of all the responses here, you said it the best.  I won’t even respond to this poster anymore because I had a lymphoma and I had to go through a zillion tests before an Oncologist would even treat me.  She answered everybody’s response but mine.  What she’s doing is playing Russian Roullette with her health.  And frankly my dear, I don’t give a d*mn.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox@Blingqueen023@Still Raining@chrystaltree@mousiegirl

If they told you they needed a bone marrow sample out of the blue, wouldn’t you be alarmed and want to know why?

I sure would be alarmed. If they said you needed an MRI of your abdomen, wouldn’t you want to know why?

I would.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~