Respected Contributor

What to expect after a tooth extraction?

I had my 6 month dental cleaning and checkup on Tuesday, and it came with a huge surprise.  I knew there was some issue with one of my bottom molars (and so did they from my last checkup) because the gum had been swelling and sore sometimes.  Years ago, I had a root canal and a crown put on that tooth, so there's no pain with the tooth.

Turns out it's absessed and there already is some bone loss.  My dentist says the only thing that can be done is to extract the tooth, and then maybe look into an implant, partial, or a bridge.  I was devastated because I'm really fastidious about my teeth, since both my parents had false teeth, and mine have alway been prone to cavities.

I've made the appointment with the oral surgeon for 4/23, but I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with this?  I'm going to have a local anesthetic.  Can you tell me what to expect after the surgery, and what might be a good option for a replacement?  It's really hard for me to chew on the other side of my mouth because my teeth are out of alignment on the other side.  TIA for any advice for this nervous Nellie!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to expect after a tooth extraction?

[ Edited ]

@2blonde 

Like you, I am fastidious about my oral care.  For years, I've flossed, waterpicked and brushed several times a day.

However, a filling in a back molar from my teen years cracked and, eventually, it could not be repaired.  The dentist suggested a root canal, and I said no.  The tooth was beyond salvaging (in my opinion), since it was almost all filling.  I'm not sure what she was thinking!

Anyway, I had it pulled under anesthesia.  Could not believe how painless it was afterward!  I just couldn't stand the idea of hearing it removed or being awake, so I opted to go under.

Edited to add, maybe my "no pain" experience is unique. I never used the meds given to me, and didn't have ANY problems.  It was tender for a few days, but that was it.

At this point, I could have an implant, but....it is so darned expensive!  The space is not visible, so I just let it go. 

Full disclosure, I'm 68, so there's still time for it to shift, I guess.  So far, no problems.

Super Contributor

Have a small bag of frozen peas for a cold pack in your  freezer, meds (antibiotics and pain) Rx ahead of surgery, someone to drive you there and home, heating pad,  and a few days off work if necessary.

If you have pets prepare for easy care for them (esp. dog walking).

Stay hydrated. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Respected Contributor

@2blonde 

Before the appt., start with aspirin / Motrin for dental pain.  This will prevent you from “ chasing after any pain “ after the procedure.  The pain killing ingredients will have started before the pain so you shouldn’t have as much, if any.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Your mouth will be sore, maybe black and blue, swollen

for a few days. I have an implant with excellent results.

I, too had bone loss, my dentist did a bone graft- no big

deal.

Good Luck.

Frequent Contributor

Afterwards, don't drink out of a straw and be extra careful of the area where your tooth was pulled.  The last thing you want is a dry socket!  I had one once, and it hurt like a tooth ache would have hurt.  A dry socket is where the clot is dislodged.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years (ok, two decades) ago I had to have my wisdom teeth pulled. The bottom left wisdom tooth had actually pushed into the molar next to it and basically destroyed that molar. 

Dentist gave me antibiotics to cover any infection. Then a few days later he pulled those teeth. He used stiches to close the hole. It was scary to hearhear I honestly felt nothing. 

For about a week after I lived on a liquid diet. I'd suggest grabbing some of those breakfast shakes or protein shakes. Also soups that are liquid like tomatoe.

Be very careful for the first 12-18 hours after the procedure. Only eat/drink cold items. Because of the numbing agent used you won't be able to feel it if you eat something that could burn your mouth. So sticking to cold items helps ensure you don't end up with a burn.

No straws or smoking because it will pull the blood and keep it from clotting and could give you dry socket. No fun. 

Do not leave the dentist office without a script for a decent pain med. You may not need it at all. But if you do indeed need it then it will be there for you.

The first 2-3 days are the hardest but after that it gets better quickly.

Good luck and try not to worry. It'll be ok. 🤗

Trusted Contributor

Ahhh yes good ole molars, for most of us they will give you problems at some point during your life...I’m facing the same thing, it’s been filled, crowned, root canaled, not much more they can do but pull it...I don’t want a implant, not crazy about them drilling into my jaw so I may go with a partial...right now it’s not bothering me....implants are super expensive and my insurance will not cover much...good luck😀

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

It truly is no big deal, relax.  I have had my wisdom teeth as well as another I broke off removed by my regular dentist with novocaine.  They will give you after care instructions. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I had my 6 month dental cleaning and checkup on Tuesday, and it came with a huge surprise.  I knew there was some issue with one of my bottom molars (and so did they from my last checkup) because the gum had been swelling and sore sometimes.  Years ago, I had a root canal and a crown put on that tooth, so there's no pain with the tooth.

Turns out it's absessed and there already is some bone loss.  My dentist says the only thing that can be done is to extract the tooth, and then maybe look into an implant, partial, or a bridge.  I was devastated because I'm really fastidious about my teeth, since both my parents had false teeth, and mine have alway been prone to cavities.

I've made the appointment with the oral surgeon for 4/23, but I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with this?  I'm going to have a local anesthetic.  Can you tell me what to expect after the surgery, and what might be a good option for a replacement?  It's really hard for me to chew on the other side of my mouth because my teeth are out of alignment on the other side.  TIA for any advice for this nervous Nellie!

@2blonde   Please don't believe that by having a root canal you won't ever have any pain from that tooth.  I've had two teeth (one upper & one lower molars both on the ride side of my mouth) give me serious pain from infections after having root canals years ago. 

After several bouts of antibiotics, I had one root canal redone and had another procedure called a apicoectomy where they go into the side of your gum to clean it out and regrow bone.  Both teeth are much better now.  

I was ready to have both teeth pulled but fortunately the teeth were saved.  Maybe yours can be too.  I would get another professional opinion!  Implants are very expensive and time consuming.