Respected Contributor

Re: What to expect after a tooth extraction?

@gizmogal   Thanks so much for taking the extra time to include those links.  They were very helpful.  I think I'll decide what to do about the big "gap" in my mouth after the area has closed off and I can see what it really will be like eating without that tooth.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2blonde 

The pain shouldn't be  bad afterward but, if the dentist tells you to take motrin, etc. every so many hours, do it.  Don't let the pain get ahead of you.  And also, listen to his instructions about what not to do, because the last thing you want is a dry socket.  I had one after my last extraction and the pain was horrible.  Just follow doctor's orders.  I have a bridge where a molar was and no problems.  

Honored Contributor

My back molar extraction was also a walk in the park, no bleeding, no pain, nothing, over and done in 5 minutes!!

Regular Contributor

Hi 2blonde--you are very welcome. My sister had an implant done 2 years ago with the surgeon that I used to work for and her cost was 7,000 and that included numerous visits & bone grafting then she had to go to her general dentist to get the crown done for 2,000. The whole procedue took over 1 year to get completed as there is a process to be followed so no infection or rejection will happen. Now bear in mind I am in N.J. so price may be more expensive here. My neighbors who are "snowbirds" had theirs done in Florida for much less. My sister was 52 at the time. She swears she won't go through it again. Very time consuming & expensive. I know you are worried also about bleeding. Before the surgery they will ask what med's you are on such as blood thiners (including fish oil) and they will make you stop 1 week before the procedure. I wouldn't worry too much about that, the surgeons are very good and will make sure you don't go home without proper instructions. I hope I gave you a little more info to help you be able to come to a decision best for you and your pocketbook! LOL I wish you the very best and if I can help again please let me know.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2blonde,

Please stay alert to how you feel within the first couple of days after the extraction, for possible infection.  

My last extraction was shortly after my first knee replacement.  The dentist gave me a full course of antibiotics to take after the tooth was pulled; said I would be fine.

One full day after the extraction, I felt “off”, and although my body temperature was only slightly elevated and not considered “a temperature”, I felt something was very wrong.   I called the dentist, and when he didn’t give me the satisfaction I was looking for, I went to my medical doctor.  

My doctor said I had a major infection brewing, that would have spread thru my sinus cavity towards my brain and required MUCH stronger antibiotics.   He was surprised I picked up on the “off” feeling so quickly and caught the infection before I got really sick.   

I send my very best wishes to you for good results.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had a few out, and  I had no issues. I was never knocked out for these, only my wisdom teeth. It's cheaper to have them pulled then root canals. (for  me anyways)--even with insurance

Honored Contributor

Well I'm back to this thread!  Suddenly last night after dinner my upper right molar all the way in the back (next to my wisdom tooth) started to hurt.  I was able to get in to see my oral surgeon as an emergency patient (I waited 3 hours to see him!).

He told me the tooth is cracked and not worth saving so I'm scheduled to have it extracted April 30 (a week after the OP's.)  I will be thinking of you when I have my tooth pulled.

Frequent Contributor

I recently had my tooth pulled and prepared for an implant by my periodontist. It was an old root canal and the X-ray showed the post was cracked and abscesed which was a surprise because I had no pain. It’s my third (all old root canals) in the last seven years, I’m sorry to say!  I’ve never  had any problems. I had anesthetic each time because I like you, I am an extremely nervous Nellie. Lol.  I have never had to take the pain meds prescribed by the doctor. I think I took 2 low dose Tylenol’s after this last procedure. I was given a small ice pack and a mouth rinse to use and that’s it. No bruising. I didn’t have any bone loss so I don’t know if that makes a difference. Cadaver bone is used in the prep for the implant. It isn’t cheap but my implants would be visible and I didn’t want a bridge. The worst part is the cost but worth it to have a tooth that feels like my own. Good luck. You’ll be fine.