Valued Contributor

Treadmill stress test after chest pain

Did anyone have this test done?Did it detect any problems?I read that it is not very accurate.If mine won't find any desease,I will request  additional exams.

I only experience chest discomfort or pain in planes.It happened twice.

I have been sick in planes before.I flew to Italy once after a bee stung my toe.It was swollen and painful.

Once I arrived at my parents' house 20 hours later,I had purple patches in my back.

However,being in a plane for 10 hours and having chest pain is really scary.

Respected Contributor

Re: Treadmill stress test after chest pain

Do you have any other symptoms of heart problems?  I'm thinking of shortness of breath when climbing stairs, for instance.  If that's the only time you've had chest discomfort, I wouldn't think it was the heart.  Do you have any respiratory issues?  Even stress and worry can cause a feeling of tightness in the chest, which may only be muscle contractions.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

Yes, I had a stress echo after a couple of episodes of fleeting chest pain.  My cardiologist said it was a very accurate test.  My test showed a rise in blood pressure with exertion.  I never would have known because my blood pressure is very low at rest.  My chest pain was determined to be from stress or reflux.  It only lasted a minute and 2 cardiologists said it didn't have anything to do with my heart.  I'm glad I did the stress echo test.. My dr.told me about my valves and heart.  There is also the nuclear version of the test but my cardiologist told me I didn't need that one and it involves quite a bit of radiation.  

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your replies.I don't have shortness of breath or respiratory problems.Glad to know the test is accurate.

My mom and her 3 siblings have Fibs.I won't tell the doctors ,because I don't want to influence their results.

I read during my internet search that heart rythms get worse in high altitudes.

The doctor gave me Xanax 3 years ago just for planes.He gave me only 8.When I went back and explained the problem to his nurse, she was looking at me strangely and didn't say much.

Maybe she thought I was an addict asking for drugs.

Honored Contributor

@Bibione wrote:

Thanks for your replies.I don't have shortness of breath or respiratory problems.Glad to know the test is accurate.

My mom and her 3 siblings have Fibs.I won't tell the doctors ,because I don't want to influence their results.

I read during my internet search that heart rythms get worse in high altitudes.

The doctor gave me Xanax 3 years ago just for planes.He gave me only 8.When I went back and explained the problem to his nurse, she was looking at me strangely and didn't say much.

Maybe she thought I was an addict asking for drugs.

********  It is imperative that you tell your doctor about your mom and her siblings.  It can give them a better idea of what to look for and how to help you possibly avoid the same.  In fact, it is dangerous not to tell them.  Give yourself the best chance you have!

I just went through 2 heart attacks and quadruple heart surgery  approximately  one year and 6 months ago.  Take my word for it.....the more they know the better off you will be.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had one done recently to rule out a heart problem after pressure in my chest...it's very simple, pain free & no running-walking on a treadmill. The scanner is open & glides over your body...that was a blessing because I don't like to be closed in.The only thing that happened was a bit of flushing & a slight headache when my heart was speed up with medication & I was given another medication that relieved it immediately after that part of the test was completed. The test went by quickly & no heart problems found, I'm so grateful for that. My health problem is under control & for now I don't need surgery. Best Wishes @Bibione .

Esteemed Contributor

I had the nuclear stress test using medicine rather a treadmill, an ultrasound electrocardiogram and wore a monitor for many days.  Once they were also lucky enough to catch the glitch in rhythm on an EKG.  

Medicine solved the pain for me.

Your doctor should put you through whatever tests you need.

Respected Contributor

I had a stress test and an echocardiogram a couple of years ago after having chest pains  one morning. The stress test was like a treadmill on steroids. I read online that most patients last between 7 & 12 minutes on the stress test. I only lasted 2 minutes. I had an echocardiogram a couple of weeks later. This was much easier. Both tests came back normal. I haven’t had any chest pains since then, so it must have been a fluke. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Bibione 

I have had many stress, and Maximal VO2 Greadmill tests done over several decades. What they find can depend on what order a Cardiologist writes for the patient. Just as a Resting EKG can miss a heart problem, so can Treadmill Stress Tests that do not really tax the heart muscle.

An Echocardiogram is also a procedure used to look at the heart functions. Many of my(by my choice) Treadmill Test included a Pre-Treadmill Echo, and then one IMMEDIATELY(talking seconds not minutes) at the completion of the procedure. My Cardiologist wants to look at ALL functions when my Heart Rate  is Highly Elevated.

What you have said here doesn't tell me much about which Treadmill Protocol was used in your test. Did you hear anyone say, or does you paperwork results mention Balke or Bruce? 

I have had 2 heart attacks and non of the Treadmill Tests or Echocardiograms indicated I would have these events. And with neither heart attack did I have any of the CLASSIC SYMPTOMS, no chest pain whatsoever.

Any doctor suggest it might be related to a minor Panic/Anxiety Attack? From what you described that is something I would not overlook.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your help.I am having the test done on the 15th.I just walked 15 minutes on my treadmill at an incline and I was fine.

I could just have anxiety.My mom is 89 in a nursing home in Italy.i pay my cousin to look after her.

i could get a phone call anytime.Just like when my dad died 4 years ago.

I took anxiety pills for a month.I stopped cause I didn't feel any better and I was having headaches.

I am thinking about trying CBD oil.