Honored Contributor

Re: What do you use to relieve arthritis pain in your fingers?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@silver fox wrote:

Hi @sophiamarie @halfpint1  asked for an otc pain reliever, tylenol 8hr is for arthritis it is what my doctor sugested I take.  They do not like to prescribe medication for it  until the arthritis gets REALLY bad because you can become immuned to it, this is what my doctor told me maybe.   @halfpint1 you sould check with your doctor as I have no clue how advanced your arthritis is.  Wishing you all the best

Tylenol taken too often or over a long duration can be extremely dangerous, potentially causing kidney damage.  I've never heard of anyone developing a resistance to a NSAID; I've taken the same one for at least 20 years and it's just as effective today and it was the first time I took it.  It's narcotics to which a resistance is built.

Tylenol damages the liver , not the kidneys over the long term. NSAID drugs like advil are what damages the kidneys.

Respected Contributor

You do what works.  I know several people who take Tylenol every single day and have for years without an issue.  My mother was one.  Her doctor said it was fine and better than going with a stronger drug prescription.  She swore by it.  I have some paing starting up too, and I haven't found anything that helps much.  I've tried most of what is mentioned here.

Esteemed Contributor

I do YOGA FOR ARTHRITIS BY PEGGY CAPPY,brought onPBS.  EVERYDAY.  I have in fingers, neck, back, etc.  She does from head to toe, gentle stretches.  Hands and fingers alsoI

Trusted Contributor

oh boy, I can relate to every one of these posts. I inherited severe OA from my dad and his parents. Fingers are bent, Heberden's and Bouchards nodes on all my knuckles, trigger finger, can't bend 2 of my fingers to make a fist. Can't use a paring knife anymore to peel or hold a pen to write my name.

Pain is so bad in the am my fingers are swollen and painful at all the knuckles.

But I do take the turmeric, use fingerless compression gloves, Tylenol arthritis, and use a small "rubber-ish" ball to squeeze during the say for physical therapy. My hands actually feel worse when the weather is hot instead of the cold. They swell up. Like when you first get a sprain and they say to use ice not heat. 

proj that help temporarily but only for maybe 6 months. There is nothing you can do about arthritis if it's in your genes, just get help for the pain and daily actitivites. Contrary to what some like you to think, it does not go away by changing your diet. I asked her lots of questions and she said that because it is not a terminal disease and humans were never projected to live as long as they do, our bodies just wear out (OA is called wear and tear arthritis). She said there is very little research money given for non-terminal diseases so she doesn't see anything new coming down the pike to "cure" it, only meds for pain and inflammation and the other hints people have mentioned. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

I have arthritis in my knee, at a certain point OTC meds just aren't very effective.  You can increase the recommended dosage but it won't help and you risk damaging your stomach.  You don't want joint pain and a stomach ulcer...do you?  If you just think you have arthritis and have been self medicationg, start by seeing your pcp for a complete physical and a referral to a rheumatologist.  If your arthritis was diagnosed, make an appoint yourself with a rheumatologist, you might need a prescription dosage of  Ibuprofen or Naproxen another medication.  Physical therpay might help.  An occupational therpaist might be able to help you with tasks and devices that will put less stress on your fingers.  A nutritionist can work with you to help identify foods that often worsen arthritis pain.  You don't have to live with pain.  That just isn't necessary today.  Any one or a combination of the things I listed can give you significant pain relief.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I have arthritis in my knee, at a certain point OTC meds just aren't very effective.  You can increase the recommended dosage but it won't help and you risk damaging your stomach.  You don't want joint pain and a stomach ulcer...do you?  If you just think you have arthritis and have been self medicationg, start by seeing your pcp for a complete physical and a referral to a rheumatologist.  If your arthritis was diagnosed, make an appoint yourself with a rheumatologist, you might need a prescription dosage of  Ibuprofen or Naproxen another medication.  Physical therpay might help.  An occupational therpaist might be able to help you with tasks and devices that will put less stress on your fingers.  A nutritionist can work with you to help identify foods that often worsen arthritis pain.  You don't have to live with pain.  That just isn't necessary today.  Any one or a combination of the things I listed can give you significant pain relief.

I'm going to disagree with you on this. Speaking as someone who has had arthritis for 15 years, sees a regular rheumatologist, and has used everything they recommend, and posted about it upthread, and has a father who has no use of his fingers, there is going to be pain. You can help it, but not take it away. There is no cure for OA and it just gets worse over time as you live longer. That is a clinical fact. Those of us who have ot live with pain every day, some days more, some days less, but it does not go away. And meds only mask pain so if your doctor tells you that you cannot take them anymore because of long term use, you are back to square one. And they don't prescribe narcotis for pain of arthritis. 

I eat right, exercise every day, have had OT and PT and guess what? 15 years ago I could still work and peel an apple. Today, I can't close my fingers even doing everything right. 

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

My pain in my fingers are getting worse. Any otc brand you reccommend? On my walks I  usually push a small grocery cart.

@halfpint1

Unless I missed it, you haven't said if you've been to a rheumatologist about this.  It's one thing to have OA, but if you have RA it's best to do what's possible to stop joint damage from progressing,

Honored Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

Contrary to what some like you to think, it does not go away by changing your diet. 

Yes, diet IS the solution.

The McDougall forum just started this thread (link below) on Saturday. Timely! These are people which have been in the same condition as many posters here & diet has helped their condition. I agree with the poster who says (maybe she hasn't reached her) 'pain rock bottom' to make any dietary changes. So true.

I've been a member of McDougall's forum for a decade+ & have seen many success stories throughout those years. Those that falter, don't follow the program 100%.

Heart disease, diabetes, auto-immune conditions...arthritis, in this case...many conditions can all be cured with diet...the CORRECT diet.  That's the common denominator we all have...we all eat food.  Food can kill or food can heal.  Plain & simple.   It's deplorable most physicians don't suggest..or even MENTION...nutritional therapy for their patients.

The diet details are all free (link below) & tons on online support.  

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51453

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

Contrary to what some like you to think, it does not go away by changing your diet. 

The McDougall forum just started this thread (link below) on Saturday. Timely! These are people which have been in the same condition as many posters here & diet has helped their condition. I agree with the poster who says (maybe she hasn't reached her) 'pain rock bottom' to make any dietary changes. So true.

I've been a member of McDougall's forum for a decade+ & have seen many success stories throughout those years. Those that falter, don't follow the program 100%.

Heart disease, diabetes, auto-immune conditions...arthritis, in this case...many conditions can all be cured with diet...the CORRECT diet.  That's the common denominator we all have...we all eat food.  Food can kill or food can heal.  Plain & simple.   It's deplorable most physicians don't suggest..or even MENTION...nutritional therapy for their patients.

well sidsmom, they all have some hook, Here is Dean Ornish's take:

In contrast to Esselstyn, Ornish recommends the consumption of fish oil supplements and does not follow a strict vegetarian diet, allowing for the consumption of occasional animal products.[4]

Many of Dean Ornish's statements about good nutrition have been disputed, notably in a Scientific American article titled Why Almost Everything Dean Ornish Says about Nutrition Is Wrong.[5] This article elicited a lengthy critical response from Dean Ornish.[5]

I'll be sure and tell my doctors at the world famous Cleveland Clinic that if they have all their patients follow McDougall's diet advice, they will be out of business since all the patients will be cured of their diseases. She'll be pleased to know they can stop all research into chronic diseases, even those inherited or those that are part of one's culture by following the diet advice of a QVC poster. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

I'll be sure and tell my doctors at the world famous Cleveland Clinic that if they have all their patients follow McDougall's diet advice, they will be out of business since all the patients will be cured of their diseases. She'll be pleased to know they can stop all research into chronic diseases, even those inherited or those that are part of one's culture by following the diet advice of a QVC poster. 

Well....Cleveland Clinic IS very heavily related with the plant-based world.  Your doctors should know Dr. Esselstyn & his wife very, very well.

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr. served there...and his wife's family FOUNDED the clinic.  He used nutritional therapy for his clients & co-workers, so it's safe to say it works.  Sad to see it change directions after Dr. Esselstyn left, but the plant-based message he endorses is exactly what Dr. McDougall endorses.  If it works, it works.   Those on the outside, looking in, just haven't reached their 'pain rock bottom' yet. That saying is powerful.  The successful people are those willing to do anything to heal themselves.  

I love Dr. Esselstyn's talk about heart disease...being heart-attack proof.  Different condition than arthritis, but the dietary advice is the same.

http://youtu.be/m8yikz5bOEQ

"Esselstyn received his M.D. from the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in 1961. During this time he met his wife, Ann Crile Esselstyn, granddaughter of George Washington Crile, founder of the Cleveland Clinic. Esselstyn was an intern (1961–62) and resident (1962–66) at the Cleveland Clinic. In 1968 he completed a tour as an Army surgeon in Vietnam where he was awarded the Bronze Star. Upon his return he rejoined the clinic and has served as the President of the Staff and as a member of its Board of Governors. He served as the President of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons in 1991. In 2000 he gave up his post at the Cleveland Clinic."