Respected Contributor

Re: What do you use to relieve arthritis pain in your fingers?

See your doctor first....my initial tests with my primary put me into the rhelm of rheumatologist.  I get very swollen painful finger joint pain....I am a piano player,so losing function of my hands is not an option.  I begin every day with running warm water over my hands, and as the warmth of the water is flowing, I press every finger to my thumb- then speed it up.

I do a number of exercises for my hands-check with your doctor always, but warm moist heat can help tremendously. Be well my friend-I totally understand how .frightening it is to lose the possibility of losing this gift that we all take so for granted.

Hugs,Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@silver fox wrote:

Hi @sophiamarie @halfpint1  asked for an otc pain reliever, tylenol 8hr is for arthritis it is what my doctor sugested I take.  They do not like to prescribe medication for it  until the arthritis gets REALLY bad because you can become immuned to it, this is what my doctor told me maybe.   @halfpint1 you sould check with your doctor as I have no clue how advanced your arthritis is.  Wishing you all the best

@Silver Fox1  Hi - I think you misunderstood.  My Ortho doctor didn't prescribe Mobic for the slight arthritis he saw.  I also have a ruptured disc and had a fractured femur a year ago.  I live in a very warm climate and we had a really cold spell a few weeks ago and everything seemed to flare up.  He gave me the Mobic to alleviate the pain I was having after he looked at all the x-rays taken that day.  He also had me do some stuff eg: walk on my toes, on my heels, etc.....  He asked me if I was taking anything and my husband told him I take Tylenol.  The Dr. said that is for pain and would not do anything for any inflammation.  When he was writing out the Rx, I asked him if it was like Advil and he said "yes, but you would have to take at least 6 Advil instead of one Mobic" and told me to come back in two weeks to "see how things look then"...... He started me on the lowest dose (I don't know what that is because I haven't even picked up the Rx yet)........ I hope this helps you undertand more clearly what I said before.  I still feel that the OP should see a doctor before she starts to take anything prescribed here on this Forum......

Trusted Contributor

Hi @sophiamarie I did misunderstand !!!  I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this, thats is just awful.  I hope you are now on the mend and feeling better !!!!!!   I to think OP should see a doctor first , that would ceratinly be the right thing to do. Thank you for your responce.    

Respected Contributor

I was diagnosed with severe OA 2 years ago,at age 58, knees first, then my right shoulder, spine and now my fingers!

I work our every morning. Eliptical (MD will not let me use a tread mill) or bike followed by curcuit training. That gets everything oiled up!  If I don't do it, I don't have enough mobility for the day.  I do hand exercises as well, but the gripping during the workout helps alot!

I take Hyaluronic Acid (glucosamin/chondroitin didn't work for me at all) and now turmeric for inflammation. Both have made a big difference for me. I also like my compression gloves. I use them at home when I feel the need.

I alternate Tylenol 8 hour with Aleve if I need it, but I have cut way back. I also drink inordinate amounts of water, I notice my joints when I am not hydrated. Sometimes I use a heating pad and then ice.

Have to admit that I was always active, skiing and years of horseback riding got me to this spot! But I sure had fun getting here, wouldn't change a thing! It's a daily challenge to keep my joints moving!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I was taking way too much ibuprofen and knew that it wasn't good for me.  I started taking Turmeric capsules and my inflammation and pain has reduced significantly.  I do occasionally take Extra Strength Tylenol if I need extra pain relief, but the Turmeric works for me most of the time.  My husband was having arthritis pain in his shoulder and he started taking Turmeric and got almost immediate relief.

Honored Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

I was taking way too much ibuprofen and knew that it wasn't good for me.  I started taking Turmeric capsules and my inflammation and pain has reduced significantly.  I do occasionally take Extra Strength Tylenol if I need extra pain relief, but the Turmeric works for me most of the time.  My husband was having arthritis pain in his shoulder and he started taking Turmeric and got almost immediate relief.

@Trudey     How much are you taking each day?

Respected Contributor

Tylenol doesn't do much unless you have very minor arthritis. Anti-inflammatories have terrible side effects when taken long term, stomach irritation/ulcers, heart problems, etc. 

Unless you only need something occasionally, see a doctor. Even if you are taking OTC drugs, you need to be monitored if you are taking them daily. 

Arthritis sucks! And none of the options are that great. Best of luck. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44. I take 500 mg each day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Highly recommend Dead Sea Salt baths.

This site has good prices.

https://www.seasalt.com

Also Braggs Apple cider Organic Vinegar a couple of tablespoons in water and drink it a couple of times a day.

Honored Contributor

I found a pair of compression gloves on Amazon that I love, fingerless, so to speak.   They offer light compression.   I have small hands so the fingerless style is great as thety cover about 1" or so of my fingers, just enough for my arthritis.   If you look on Amazon, I use the Arthritis Gloves by Imak.