Respected Contributor

Few days ago my body started swelling up with fluid, feet, hands, face, abdomen. Bad cough, then the shortness of breath became intolerable. Before my husband drove me to urgent care, I hopped on the scale. Six pound weight gain in three days. 
Was worked up thoroughly in urgent care, BP extremely high. Got IV Lasix (diuretic) which helped my breathing a lot. I had fluid in my lungs also. Was transferred by ambulance to the hospital where I was kept overnight. Complete cardiac work up was done. The good news, the tests were mostly normal but there was evidence of uncontrolled hypertension (thickened heart walls and mild pulmonary hypertension) my BP was very high during my stay, even with extra bp meds. Several times my heart rate dropped into the low thirties and a nurse had to keep doing sternal rubs to try and get it going. All quite scary and thank God for Xanax and Ativan. Bottom line: my primary doc who I will be seeing soon, will likely add another bp med to my regimen. I'm to start checking my blood pressure at home, which I've neglected. And I have to eat a low sodium diet from now on. Cardiologist in the hospital said my extreme daily sodium intake probably caused the problems. Fluid follows the salt. Ok so I'm on a mission to save my own life. I ordered the DASH diet beginners cookbook and a smokeless indoor grill. Today's grocery shopping trip took a long time as I needed to read labels for sodium content.  Some surprises-most breakfast cereals, loaded! Some varieties of breads ( the ones I've been eating lol) salad dressing and most condiments. I bought several bottles of Mrs Dash seasoning, found unsalted tomato sauce and soups.  I can do this 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Cooking/ recipe tips are welcome. My nurse said grilling and baking, no frying. I'm also keeping the saturated fat down as well. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother  How scary! Do they know what the main issue is that would lead to this situation? Can I ask how old you are? Is it heart related for the most part?  Hopefully with some lifestyle tweaks and diet tweaks you will get this under control...not easy....but so worth it!  Please keep us up to date on this thread how you are doing❤️

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: What a week

[ Edited ]

You are off to a good start!

Little to no salt, watch your prepared food for sodium, I avoid carbohydrates when I can, eat lots of fresh veggies that I roast, broil or air fry and cut back on red meat. Drink lots of water and I use a spritzer to spray veggies and salads with olive oil. Once you get onto it the whole process becomes second nature. When I started reading the nutrional values on food I nearly fainted at hidden salt and sugar.

Hope you feeling better soon!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@fairydogmother  How scary! Do they know what the main issue is that would lead to this situation? Can I ask how old you are? Is it heart related for the most part?  Hopefully with some lifestyle tweaks and diet tweaks you will get this under control...not easy....but so worth it!  Please keep us up to date on this thread how you are doing❤️

Yes the main issue was that my blood pressure was no longer under good control and my excessive salt/sodium intake caused the sudden fluid retention. My heart function is normal per the testing that was done. And my blood vessels are clear, no heart disease. So it's not a heart problem it's a blood pressure issue. Im 71  thanks for your kind words. 🥰

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@We rescue cats 

The spritzer idea, I wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks! And grilled or roasted veggies. That's new to me. I'm kind of excited about trying some new methods of preparing food 😊

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother    I had that happen to me, although not as severe, about 20 years ago.  I was at a routine medical appointment and my BP was extremely high.  They sent me to the ER at a nearby hospital.  Wanted to call an ambulance but I refused.

Anyway, I spent the afternoon getting a Lasix IV.  They called it congestive heart failure.  The Lasix, then daily hydroclorothyisaide fixed me up and I've been fine ever since.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

How scary!  Hope all turns out well.  Prayers.

Valued Contributor

@fairydogmother   I wish you well and pray for a speedy recovery.  Blood Pressure can cause so many health issues so I am glad you are on track to take care of it.  

You will like roasted/grilled vegatables and will never want them any other way again.  Especially when fresh vegatables, if you have a farmers market near you this summer you will enjoy all vegatables roasted/grilled.

Take care and keep us posted on your journey of good health.

Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@fairydogmother    I had that happen to me, although not as severe, about 20 years ago.  I was at a routine medical appointment and my BP was extremely high.  They sent me to the ER at a nearby hospital.  Wanted to call an ambulance but I refused.

Anyway, I spent the afternoon getting a Lasix IV.  They called it congestive heart failure.  The Lasix, then daily hydroclorothyisaide fixed me up and I've been fine ever since.

I call Lasix the "peeing your brains out" med.  I took it once and thought I'd never stop, but it did the trick.  My culprit: a July 4 celebration with too many hot dogs, chips and pickles. It would be an odd way of going out.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What a week

[ Edited ]

hckynut(john)