Respected Contributor

Re: What a week

[ Edited ]

I hope you are feeling better. DH and I have had to avoid sodium for years. I found WM has the biggest selection of no- salt-added canned beans and other veggies. Frozen veggies are best because they contain no sodium. It is amazing how so many things you would never suspect are loaded with sodium. Ketchup is a biggie and the no-salt version isn't very good. Even some " low sodium" labeled things still have a lot in them.

Asian foods are the worst due to the msg and soy sauce. PA recommended coconut aminos to replace soy sauce. It has made a world of difference in flavoring so many things. Good luck in taking  care of your situation. Soon you won't have to spend as much time at the grocery store reading labels. You will know soon what kinds of things to avoid. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I hope you are feeling better. DH and I have had to avoid sodium for years. I found WM has the biggest selection of no- salt-added canned beans and other veggies. Frozen veggies are best because they contain no sodium. It is amazing how so many things you would never suspect are loaded with sodium. Ketchup is a biggie and the no-salt version isn't very good. Even some " low sodium" labeled things still have a lot in them.

Asian foods are the worst due to the msg and soy sauce. PA recommended coconut aminos to replace soy sauce. It has made a world of difference in flavoring so many things. Good luck in taking  care of your situation. Soon you won't have to spend as much time at the grocery store reading labels. You will know soon what kinds of things to avoid. 

What is WM? And yes I'm so much better. The diuretic has taken all excess fluid off and my bp is down to a normal range today. We have been ordering Chinese takeout every Saturday evening for years but not tonight. My new indoor grill came today. I seasoned some thin cut boneless pork chops with Mrs Dash seasoning, grilled them. Had corn on the cob also with Mrs Dash. And a tossed green salad. Truth be told I did miss the salt. But I know that in time I'll get used to the reduced amounts. I mean it's either correct my diet or have a stroke from high blood pressure. Thanks for your response. 🥰

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

@fairydogmother  Sounds like you are doing what you need to do & so glad to hear you are feeling bettter.  I'm having some issues w/sodium lately so can I ask if you feel your problem is with sodium in so many of the products we buy at the store anymore or is it that you added extra sodium to the dishes you cooked/ate/bought?  

I am a past smoker of many years & found that to taste what I was eating I ended up adding salt which I know now is not a good idea.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colleena wrote:

@fairydogmother  Sounds like you are doing what you need to do & so glad to hear you are feeling bettter.  I'm having some issues w/sodium lately so can I ask if you feel your problem is with sodium in so many of the products we buy at the store anymore or is it that you added extra sodium to the dishes you cooked/ate/bought?  

I am a past smoker of many years & found that to taste what I was eating I ended up adding salt which I know now is not a good idea.  

My problem was that I love salty foods and just didn't care. Every day, chips, snacks, highly salted processed foods, cheese and more cheese. all in stupid amounts. In my cooking as well, not really caring to pay attention to food labels or my sodium intake. And adding table salt. Just eating whatever I wanted like an idiot. Not only have these habits nearly killed me with an uncontrolled blood pressure, I'm also a good twenty pounds overweight. Embarrassed to admit that I was an RN for forty six years. And here I am, needing a medical scare to shock me into changing my ways 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother 

So glad you're better! ♥️

Respected Contributor

@Hippiified @Thanks very much 🥰

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother  My goodness, what a wake up call! Think of this as a blessing. Get yourself to taking better care of yourself & eating right. May I add? Please, please start exercising! Just walking works wonders with problems such as yours. And I'm sure your doctor would agree completely! I walk and watch my diet and have lost 70 lbs and have kept it off the past 3 years. It's greatly improved my health and I'm off some drugs and have greatly reduced the rest. Good luck to you!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother So glad your are doing better!  

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother  What a scary episode!  I wish you lots of luck on your lower salt journey.  I know that is something I need to work on too.  

Respected Contributor

I am sorry this happened to you. That just happend to a friend and she was diagnosed with heart failure. I am a RN and always interested in medicine. Were you seeing your doctor every 6 months or so? I am wondering why the extreme hypertension was not detected before things went out of control.

I have a personal story about access to healthcare. We have to follow with our doctors. 3 years ago, I was told by my brothers friend that he had been passing out and was incoherent at times. My brother was afraid of doctors and did not have a regular MD. No labs were ever done. I convinced him to let me take him to the ER. That night, his blood sugar was over 400 and he had 3 strokes. He had uncontrolled hypertension too. 

He was hospitalized at this time, put on insulin, etc. I was teaching him how to take his blood sugar, and draw and give his insulin. He passed out another time and back to the ER we went and he had an additional 2 strokes. He was smoking and I did not know it. 

He ended up in rehabilitation and today is wheelchair bound, in a skilled nursing facility.

My family and I often talk about the fact, that had he gone to the doctor on a regular basis, his diabetes and hypertension would have been found early and he would have potentially had a much better outcome.

The lesson here is to see your doctor, tell him or her what is going on. Follow the plan.

I see my regular MD, Endocrinologist, Ophthalmologist, OB/GYN. My diabetes was found very early. My hypertension is in control etc. etc and I am 7 years older than my brother. I still live independently and work full time. 

We can have sad outcomes when we do not take care of ourselves. 

I pray that you do well. I just posted my brothers story as an example of the types of things that can happen to people when they don't see a MD. My brother's condition was way bad before he knew that he was sick. Then it took a lot of coaxing to get him into the ER.