Honored Contributor

Re: What Worked For Sinus Infection?

@Jackhound Mom 

I had quarterly sinus infections since 6th grade.  I got to the point where I would have to be on antibiotics for multiple rounds, in addition to doing all of the things, allergy shots, RX decongestant daily, RX night time allergy meds, etc.  I am also allergic to penicillin, so my choices are somewhat limited.

All of what everyone already suggested I have done as well....

And, what FINALLY worked for me was having sinus surgery.  I had a deviated septum, so one side was always clogged and then when I would blow my nose, it felt like I just blew pressure into my ear.

I already see an allergist at the practice of my ENT, so I saw the head of the practice for the surgery.  It was @LTT1 who guided me about the surgery.  

I had the deviated septum corrected AND had my sinus cavities widened.  I had it done on a Monday a.m. and NO BRUISING and when I was in recovery, even with the plastic clips in my nose (no "packing") I could already breathe better than before.  It would have saved me 20+ years of antibiotics, steroids and other maladies.  I had the clips removed that Wednesday, light restrictions and then I was GOOD TO GO on my path to a better life.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

Thanks for the shoutout!

My sinus problems...along with years and years of steroids and antibiotics, are so far in the past I almost have forgotten them!

I still really notice irritation from pollen (especially now that mask-wearing is not often required) so I tun my humidifier at night so that air pollen falls out of the air.

'I drove through a local park on Thursday and thought I'd DIE from all that pollen! 
The park is beautiful but it's like a jungle! So wild and beautiful! But I could tell when I returned home that I was in for big-time eye itching and "runny-nosing".

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Any of the sinus/ cold otc meds with a D after the name contain ephedrine which can really send your BP through the roof, if you take no meds, check with your dr before taking any of these. My dr said take it only three days at a time, and it helps. Allergies have usually been the reason for my sinus infections which I have not had in a long time since I started treating my allergies. Dr said when you stay clogged up due to allergies long enough, it just creates an environment for bacteria to move in and start an infection. She was so right.
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

For a raging sinus infection, of course antibiotics are what you need. But I keep sinus infections at bay by taking serrapeptase as a preventative. It's an herbal supplement here but is prescribed for sinus infections and certain inflammatory arthritic conditions in Europe.

If you are on lots of meds, ask your doctor first. And you can't take serrapeptase if you are on a blood thinner, because it does mildly have that effect. It's great for preventing my sinus infections, though. I wouldn't be without it.

Do you take all year round or only in allergy season or only wh

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackhound Mom - I am prone to sinus infections. Usually the script I get is Amoxicillan followed by a Z-Pac. 

Several years ago, I started using a Neti Pot and this seems to have helped a lot.

Honored Contributor

Is it a viral or bacterial sinus infection?  If it's bacteria, do what your doctor says. If it's viral, it'll pass in time and home remedies might help make you more comfortable.

Trusted Contributor

I had a sinus infection just once in my life and fortunately haven’t had to deal with that since, but I sympathize with those who suffer with this. 

If anyone is interested, go to Know the Cause and type sinus (or some version) in the Search. There is a great deal of info if someone doesn’t mind reading about it. There is evidence it’s fungal in nature and there are safe nasal sprays that address that. I’m always looking for ways to keep myself healthy minus using any drugs. 

Valued Contributor

Two things that do a pretty good job are:

XLEAR - It's a spray that doesn't contain harmful or habit-forming ingredients.  I use it a couple of times a day.  Clears nostrils even better when used with....

Olbas Inhaler - Sometimes I use this after XLEAR or on it's own before bed.  Opens nostrils well.

I like these two because neither one raises blood pressure.  They help, but don't cure.  Both are available on Amazon.

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Jackhound Mom 

I had quarterly sinus infections since 6th grade.  I got to the point where I would have to be on antibiotics for multiple rounds, in addition to doing all of the things, allergy shots, RX decongestant daily, RX night time allergy meds, etc.  I am also allergic to penicillin, so my choices are somewhat limited.

All of what everyone already suggested I have done as well....

And, what FINALLY worked for me was having sinus surgery.  I had a deviated septum, so one side was always clogged and then when I would blow my nose, it felt like I just blew pressure into my ear.

I already see an allergist at the practice of my ENT, so I saw the head of the practice for the surgery.  It was @LTT1 who guided me about the surgery.  

I had the deviated septum corrected AND had my sinus cavities widened.  I had it done on a Monday a.m. and NO BRUISING and when I was in recovery, even with the plastic clips in my nose (no "packing") I could already breathe better than before.  It would have saved me 20+ years of antibiotics, steroids and other maladies.  I had the clips removed that Wednesday, light restrictions and then I was GOOD TO GO on my path to a better life.

Same here, surgery finally got me off the sinus infection roller coaster that dictated my life.  My only regret was not getting it years earlier.

In addition to turbinate reduction, my surgeon also a removed a huge micotoxin, essentially a fungal infection.  After talking about my history of one long sinus infection, we believe it began when I lived in Arizona and had Valley Fever.  It is caused by air borne fungal spores common in that area.  

Respected Contributor

Hello to all who have taken the time to answer my question!  I have been absent so please forgive me for not answering sooner.  You are so smart and wonderful to share honest answers about what has worked for you.

It seems at 67 I always have something awful medical wise to deal with.  If I wrote everything here I would take up the boards.

Thank you sincerely,

Cathy