Respected Contributor

What Worked For Sinus Infection?

Please tell me what RX helped you the most.  I had a 3 week headache and finally went to the local clinic and was given a Z-Pac which is one antibiotic I know I can take.  Before that I used saline rince several times a day along with tripple antibiotic ointment.

Still suffering and having symptoms...

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Cathy

Honored Contributor

Re: What Worked For Sinus Infection?

Same thing my grandpa took.......old-fashioned ELDERBERRY.   Although, I am NOT making any medical claims...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Same thing my grandpa took.......old-fashioned ELDERBERRY.   Although, I am NOT making any medical claims...

Thanks so much!  I'll get some tomorrow when we go out!

Valued Contributor

Z-Pac is a 5 day treatment and then continues to work for 5 more days after.  You may have a very deep & severe sinus infection and may need a double dose after the initial 10 days.  Have you contacted your doctor? 

I get chronic Bronchitis and usually need a double dose because of an underlying immunoglobulin blood issue called IgA deficiency which protects the mucus membranes in the body.  Because it is inherited there is no cure or treatment and because my count is very low I get severe Bronchitis, sinus infections, and sore throats.  My physicians have found the only way to treat me is the double Z-Pac dose with the first 5 days, wait 5 days, then start the 2nd round of Z-Pac.  Good luck.  I know the pain you must be in if it is a stubborn infection.

Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom I have had sinus infections for years and usually end up taking oral antibiotics 2 to 3 times a year.  My advice is to see an ENT doc.  I had sworn off going to an ENT years ago because I was so frustrated with the care.  Saw my regular family doc since then.  He decided to refer me to an ENT  again and the guy is wonderful.  Care has improved and he prescribed two antibiotics added to my sinus rinses (had to be compounded) and I am doing so much better.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Tablets (Augmentin) work best for me.  

Azithromycin is indicated for sinus infections, but it wouldn't be my first choice.  I'd ask for Augmentin instead because I know it works for me.  

Sinus infections can be a bit stubborn.  How long have you been taking Z-Pac?  

With allergies, I'm prone to sinus infections, so I must keep my sinuses open.  I take over the counter Allegra-D for allergies, Mucinex, Afrin nasal spray when needed, and Nasacort nasal spray during allergy season. 

Mucinex helps drain the sinuses.  You can get generic tablets over the counter.  

Afrin can cause rebound congestion, so I use it sparingly only when I really need it.  

If you decide to try any of the over counter meds, be sure they don't interfere with any meds you are taking.  

Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Respected Contributor

Jackhound Mom,

So sorry you are in pain.  I have sinus pain occasionally but I have never used any prescription medicine.  Hot showers, and hot face cloths on your face should help to open up the passages.  A saline spray mist is easy to use, and can be purchased almost anywhere, and should offer some relief.  A face massage could also help. You may also want to consider a decongestant. Drink plenty of liquids and keep your head elevated with extra pillows.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stopped eating dairy....that happened decades ago, no sinus problems since. Wishing you the best of health.

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom  No prescriptions (all with swide effects) have worked for me better than a Navage device works for me.  I found that by using it at least once or twice a week I no longer got sinus infections.  There is a learning curve but what a difference it made!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

@Jackhound Mom  No prescriptions (all with swide effects) have worked for me better than a Navage device works for me.  I found that by using it at least once or twice a week I no longer got sinus infections.  There is a learning curve but what a difference it made!!

@Pook  agree....good device without the damaging side effects. I was going to mention the Navage and couldn't remember the name.  Great that this is working for you!