Honored Contributor

Re: What The Health-NetFlix

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity Excellent film...I wish this film (with a couple of others) were required viewing in schools.  Of course there will be criticism of this film...it is expected.  That is the point of the film...to look behind the not so obvious.  Who is promoting meat/dairy/processed food products and at the health consequences of our nation.  We are waking up to the facts and new organizations are being formed that promote the truth...even mainstream doctors/health organizations are beginning to promote plant based diets.  But there are powerful lobbies/money behind maintaining the status quo.  I think this filmed excelled in presenting the economics (and played down the suffering of animals which is very challenging to watch).  It made the film accessible to a larger audience. Becoming aware of our health crisis and how it impacts not only ourselves and our communities - but all beings and our environment - is a process.  This film is a positive step towards that awareness. Criticism is an indication that the film is doing exactly what it intended to do , there will be push back.   Great job!

Honored Contributor

This is a snapshot from the actual "What the Health' movie.

I don't think it's a big surprise the sponsors to these

organizations are contributing to their respective illness,

but to see it in one snapshot is stunning.

Heart disease: Eat processed breakfast cereals, lots of greasy pizza & wash it down with a soda!
Diabetes: Eat a nitrate processed hot dog!
Cancer: Drive thru & get a fried chicken meal or a taco 12-pack!
Breast cancer: So many studies prove dairy is a link to breast cancer...but milk products are a sponsor!

I've known so many people change their life by switching to a plant-based diet.  Several of my close, personal friends have reversed T2 diabetes, completely off cholesterol/blood pressure meds, arthritis gone, lost 50-200lbs...but more importantly, they just...feel good.  Don't need a study for that.  

IMG_2615.jpg

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity Excellent film...I wish this film (with a couple of others) were required viewing in schools.  Of course there will be criticism of this film...it is expected.  That is the point of the film...to look behind the not so obvious.  Who is promoting meat/dairy products and at the health consequences of our nation.  We are waking up to the facts and new organizations are being formed that promote the truth...even mainstream doctors/health organizations are beginning to promote plant based diets.  But there are powerful lobbies/money behind maintaining the status quo.  I think this filmed excelled in presenting the economics (and played down the suffering of animals which is very challenging to watch).  It made the film accessible to a larger audience. Becoming aware of our health crisis and how it impacts not only ourselves and our communities - but all beings and our environment - is a process.  This film is a positive step towards that awareness. Criticism is an indication that the film is doing exactly what it intended to do , there will be push back.   Great job!

Push back will happen in any case.

In this case it's a film with a few valid points but great many cherry picked partial "facts". This promotes the notion that plant based advocates are people who support junk science, partial truths. 

Totally unnecessary. This film is not good and only reinforces those who mock plant based diets. (And btw if "studies" are bad.......this film uses "studies" too.......so......)

Use GOOD sources to sell others on the ideas. Don't rely on half baked flicks like this one FHS. Don't need to.

Esteemed Contributor

@Verdana wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Knowledge is power.🙋

If you seek actual knowledge please read the criticisms of this film.

Appears to be a sketchy so called "documentary" with cherry picked "data".

Truth comes from investigating and hearing all sides of issues before making decisions.

@VerdanaAnd you don't think big pharma and the meat and dairy industries haven't been feeding us a load of baloney for years???

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Knowledge is power.🙋

Truth comes from investigating and hearing all sides of issues before making decisions.

Most people have investigated & research both sides before promoting 

'What the Health'...that is what makes it so powerful & eye-opening.  

It's not a big surprise our food & medical system is being governed 

by big money...BIG money.  It's no secret...this film just reminds us

that WE have the power to be healthy & not succumb to the effects

of Modern Day Illnesses like heart disease, T2 diabetes, obesity, etc. 

All that can change with the power of Food!  So simple.

"...find actual scholarly resources to support plant based diets."

Yes, there numerous, thousands-hundreds of thousands, of studies which backs the PB benefit....but we don't need that.   We have multi-generational cultures throughout the World who have eaten primarily plant-based diets.

Just look to each of our ancestors.  Don't need a 'study' for that.

@sidsmom  Going to an event tomorrow to hear T.Colin Campbell, Doug Lisle, Chef AJ, Jane Velez Mitchell and a few others speak.  So excited to hear Dr. Campbell in person!

Esteemed Contributor

@Verdana wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Knowledge is power.🙋

The truth is there is no money in good health.  Drug companies only want to treat illness, not cure it.  If they were concerned about health they would be researching and coming up with new antibiotics to combat super bugs, but there is no money in it because you only take these meds for a short time.  They want people hooked on drugs for the rest of their lives.

It's all about the $$$.

Contributor

@Verdana wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity Excellent film...I wish this film (with a couple of others) were required viewing in schools.  Of course there will be criticism of this film...it is expected.  That is the point of the film...to look behind the not so obvious.  Who is promoting meat/dairy products and at the health consequences of our nation.  We are waking up to the facts and new organizations are being formed that promote the truth...even mainstream doctors/health organizations are beginning to promote plant based diets.  But there are powerful lobbies/money behind maintaining the status quo.  I think this filmed excelled in presenting the economics (and played down the suffering of animals which is very challenging to watch).  It made the film accessible to a larger audience. Becoming aware of our health crisis and how it impacts not only ourselves and our communities - but all beings and our environment - is a process.  This film is a positive step towards that awareness. Criticism is an indication that the film is doing exactly what it intended to do , there will be push back.   Great job!

Push back will happen in any case.

In this case it's a film with a few valid points but great many cherry picked partial "facts". This promotes the notion that plant based advocates are people who support junk science, partial truths. 

Totally unnecessary. This film is not good and only reinforces those who mock plant based diets. (And btw if "studies" are bad.......this film uses "studies" too.......so......)

Use GOOD sources to sell others on the ideas. Don't rely on half baked flicks like this one FHS. Don't need to.

Amen @Verdana. Sorry some posters are missing your point that the plant-based diet is worthy to learn about but this film is poorly done.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caligurll wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Knowledge is power.🙋

@VerdanaAnd you don't think big pharma and the meat and dairy industries haven't been feeding us a load of baloney for years???

Never said that.

Kwap from those entities doesn't justify using a kwap film to try and promote a different and healthier lifestyle.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caligurll wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Knowledge is power.🙋

The truth is there is no money in good health.  Drug companies only want to treat illness, not cure it.  If they were concerned about health they would be researching and coming up with new antibiotics to combat super bugs, but there is no money in it because you only take these meds for a short time.  They want people hooked on drugs for the rest of their lives.

It's all about the $$$.

I'm not into conspiracy theories. Repeating: it's not the plant based diet that's a problem.

I criticize this film. Not in any way criticizing the plant based lifestyle.

People extolling real merits of plant based diet are laughed at when sketchy films like this are praised. 

Absolutely unnecessary. When we have a valuable message we need to use cogent calm convincing arguments.

Brings people to the movement.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Verdana wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Knowledge is power.🙋

Lost several friends and family. On the other hand. Father 95 has never been sick or spent time in hospital. Sixty years ago long before what we know now. He began living plant based lifestyle. He's amazing! People think he's in his 70's. Independent travels golfs. I speak from experience. I was sick! No longer the case. Choose to thrive and keep growing with awareness. Choice is right before us.

My uncle lived to be one month short of his 101st birthday. He ate sausages, bacon and eggs. My aunt is 98 and eats hamburgers and fries. I know this because I took my uncle out for meals and my aunt I take out once a week. My dad when he was alive used to eat a bowl of Ben and Jerry's most nights. I have friends with excellent labs who live on fast food.

I am all for dieting but I do not think it is everything. I dieted my entire life was bone thin and still got heart disease. Genetics play a major role and I truly believe that.

Edited to add....I watched the film over the weekend. Scare tactics, no science to any of it. In addition, there was no one in the film to question any of it. Just a lot of yes men. The only one who made sense was the doctor from the ADA. He got up and walked out.