Super Contributor

Re: WhWhat it's like to live with someone with early stages of dementia

My dad was the same......broken record but he didn't realize that he spent his time repeating the same thing over and over again all day long.

It was heartbreaking to see.   All of us kids pitched in to be there for them as they were there for us when we were young.

I don't recall if the op has family as it was not mentioned.   It is harder being alone to deal with difficult circumstances we never anticipate when we are young.

Honored Contributor

Another thing I learned is sometimes you will not know whether to laugh or cry.

My stepmother is now in a nursing home.  She thinks she is in college living in a dorm.  The irony is, her roommate has the same (unusual) name my (late) mother had.  At Christmas she told me Bing Crosby came to her room and sang Christmas carols for her.  (he was on her TV) 

I was told by a Hospice worker when my sister was ill, a stubborn person will more than likely become more stubborn. The same is true for someone with dementia.  It is often easier to give in to a person suffering from dementia, unlike giving into a child, you will not be encouraging negative behavior.

Respected Contributor

My DH can be like that and he doesn't have dementia.

Honored Contributor

@maestra  Thanks for the laugh.

Honored Contributor

@151949

See everyone needs cuddles, cyber hugs and support at times.

Honored Contributor

Yes, sometimes he does juist make me laugh - often times I will just say - REALLY ? - and he will look sheepish and smile at me, and we'll both laugh. Other times he is just beyond stubborn and unreasonable, like yesterday. 

To his credit he did apologize to me this morning for making me go 25 miles to the dentist office yesterday and disturbing them too.He is embarrassed. 

My DH does not have altzheimers - he has dementia caused by having small strokes and the neuro doctor is working on trying to prevent him having any more. He is under the care of a very competent doctor. Not all dementia is caused by Altzheimers disease.

Honored Contributor

It does seem like the dementia exaggerates a person's bad traits like stubbornness and diminishes their good ones.

Honored Contributor

When my Mom fell/broke her hip, that trauma 'triggered' something.  

Her memory declined quickly even after she recovered. 

Honored Contributor

If you're sure it's not Alz, I'd say it's better to have dementia.  I don't know anyone with Alz, but the stories are absolutely heartbreaking.

The person I adored with all my heart had dementia, but it wasn't bad until the last of her 93 years. 

It was hard to see happen to her.  Although she was the kindest, most loving, caring person her entire life and it stayed with her till the end, thankfully.

I'd say for you to just be patient.  Now you know what can really set him off, and in order to avoid any squabbles, you're just going to have to divert these situations.

I know they say 2 out of 3 people with alzheimers are women, I'm not sure about stats with dementia.  But be lucky you still have your strong mind to help him through. 

Honored Contributor

Altzheimers is a type of dementia but not the only thing that causes dementia. However, dementia is dementia.  It can be caused by arteriosclertic disease of the blood vessels in the brain - strokes - and I'm sure there are a lot of other things. However, it is all brain damage.